Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda springs...is it necessary to change the shocks as well?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda springs...is it necessary to change the shocks as well?

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

I get 0 'uncontrolable bouncing'. I honestly only notice anything when I'm hitting bumps or an an uneven road. My personal opinion is the $600+ dollars aren't a priority.
I agree with what Chevykiller said. The worst part of the ride is bridge transitions or bumps it was not to bad for the first 4 months I could live with it but it got old after a while and the more people in the car the the worse it is. When I installed my Eibachs nobody even made adjustable shocks and struts. But if you do not want to sink all that money in right at first you will still be happy with the handling of the car because it can take a corner alot better than stocked.
Just to let you know about the Tokico's it will still not feel like a factory ride it will always have a stiffer ride you have to keep adjusting the Tokico's till you find the best set up. The great thing I like about them is you can set them up for the strip or for handling or just a ride that won't throw you all around every time you hit a bump.
Thanks a ton for the details, it does make a difference when you know the little things.

Since I'm having everything else done suspension wise (thats what i saved in cash for this go around) i will forego the shocks for a few months and just add them closer to summer or end of summer when i plan on deciding which s/c im gonna put in. i'm thinking whipple or KB so i'm keeping an eye on your KB post killer.

thanks again!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M

Thanks a ton for the details, it does make a difference when you know the little things.

Since I'm having everything else done suspension wise (thats what i saved in cash for this go around) i will forego the shocks for a few months and just add them closer to summer or end of summer when i plan on deciding which s/c im gonna put in. i'm thinking whipple or KB so i'm keeping an eye on your KB post killer.

thanks again!!!

No problem but I think I'll leave the super charger post's to more knowledgeable people. I also will probably be installing one sometime in 06. I think I will stick with a saleen.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M

Pyrat,

Good article. I since had a conversation with the owner of the shop before you posted this and questioned him specifically about this issue. He felt that since my car is new, and his experience with the new stangs factory shocks, he still feels its a waste of money to change the shocks/struts. I cant imagine him turning down money. He did say that if i really start to get involved in road racing then we'll change the shock setup.

I've driven other cars he has done, and they are unbelievable... so I'm gonna trust him for now. If the car is too unruly when he's finished I'll just add them then. But since Im spending about 3k (that doesnt include the money i've already dumped into the engine and wheels, etc...i know we are all in the same boat), I would like not to have to spend another 700-800 (installed) for shocks

I'll let you know in a few weeks how it handles, taking it to be done in a week or so.

do you have any experience with your suspension...i'm just looking for how things went for you, what you liked/disliked. I'm having most of everything steeda makes for the 05 put in by the way.
M, the suspension on my V6 is fairly sloppy compared to the GT. The front sway-bar is smaller and there is no rear sway-bar, so my first addition will be either a GT take off front and rear sway-bar or an after market set. The GT stuff is available on eBay for a very good price, but I'm still working on wich set would give me the best ultimate performance

After that I'll probably go for the whole suspension setup, but I want to do some more research before I shell out the bucks. The article I told you about has been the best information I've come across so far, but I want to go talk to some of the SCCA Mustang drivers before making the final decision and I want to try and do a comparison between the GT and Saleen if I can talk my buddy at the dealership out of one of the Saleens for a test drive. I'm also trying to find out what Shelby is using on their CS6 and WCC cars. The problem with so many options is deciding which one to go with.

Please do let me know how she handles, I'm very interested in any comments or observations you would make.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:07 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I'm a favorite of the KB but the truth is KB, Whipple, and Saleen are ALL good buys.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:18 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

Pyrat,

I'll give you a heads up once install is all finshed and how the ride/handling is.

later