Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k/member is in!

Old 12-29-2005, 01:26 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default k/member is in!

just got done putting the k/member a-arms and coilovers on the front. all in all it wasn't that bad. although i wouldn't have wanted to do it on the ground at my house. but it could be done easily. i started at 6:00 and finished at 10:30 and that included altering my outer tie rods which burned up about an hour. the fit and quality was great. also put the radiator support/sway bar delete in. it is definitly lighter. it took two of us two drop the old k/mem and i easily put the new one in. the estimate from AJE and racecraft is about 100lbs dropped. anybody considering doing this mod buy some beer and get a buddy to help you hold and lift. i have 0 new scars/cuts from this job.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: k/member is in!

pics??
Old 12-29-2005, 04:11 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Performance thoughts?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PullMeOverRed05

pics??
+1

I'm looking to add a K-member. I ordered (and received) BMR's K-member, but sent it back when I found out it's just for drag applications. I need something for road racing/autocross. Granitelli has one that I'm eyeing now. BMR says they're unit saves 20# over stock, Granitelli claims 30# over stock. Granitelli claims that their unit is for road racing/autocross.

I imagine since you did the sway bar delete, your car handles like squat now. Who did you buy from and for how much? Or is this another homegrown concoction?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

spyder, how does the car handle without the swaybar?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:29 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

don't know yet it still on the lift. i didn't like the springs ground control gave me so i'm waiting for new 175lb fronts and still don't have the urethane engine mounts yet.
and no it's no a "homegrown concoction" it's an AJE. although it would have been very easy to make. my dad's shop has everything needed to fab up just about anything so nothing is lets say homebuilt it's as good or better than the stuff you can buy. they use the same metal brakes mandrel benders lathes mills and welders that we do. i think i may have to get some caster/camber plates for it. it doesn't seem to have any negative camber. from my degree gauge it is actually 1 degree positive. i don't want to drop it anymore to correct that so maybe steeda's plates can take it out.
you are correct in the fact that this car may not handle very well but thats okay with me since this cars function is street/strip. the AJE k/member i don't think would good for road race or hard street driving since it is very light(20-25lbsi think) and it's chrome moly.
hopefully i'll have the mounts in and i can drive it to see how bad it is around corners. if it's too scary i'll put the rad support back on. that was extremely easy.
i'll post pics friday i left the camera on the kitchen table tonight.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:42 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

i have to hand it to you spyder, people think i am crazy for the little bit i have done to my car. how much weight do you think you have taken off the front end now? i would like to see your car launch with some sticky tires. i have some bonus money coming so i will do the longtubes and k-member at the same time. well, i wont do them, but while i am in GA i will have it done. i need to stay out of this forum because i keep seeing all the stuff you are doing and it puts ideas into my head. thanks alot. hah
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

don't know yet it still on the lift. i didn't like the springs ground control gave me so i'm waiting for new 175lb fronts and still don't have the urethane engine mounts yet.
and no it's no a "homegrown concoction" it's an AJE. although it would have been very easy to make. my dad's shop has everything needed to fab up just about anything so nothing is lets say homebuilt it's as good or better than the stuff you can buy. they use the same metal brakes mandrel benders lathes mills and welders that we do. i think i may have to get some caster/camber plates for it. it doesn't seem to have any negative camber. from my degree gauge it is actually 1 degree positive. i don't want to drop it anymore to correct that so maybe steeda's plates can take it out.
you are correct in the fact that this car may not handle very well but thats okay with me since this cars function is street/strip. the AJE k/member i don't think would good for road race or hard street driving since it is very light(20-25lbsi think) and it's chrome moly.
hopefully i'll have the mounts in and i can drive it to see how bad it is around corners. if it's too scary i'll put the rad support back on. that was extremely easy.
i'll post pics friday i left the camera on the kitchen table tonight.
Spyder, I was thinking about the 'quick release' swaybar system so I could get the handling on the streets and quickly/easily remove it at the track. Have you heard anything on these systems?

EDIT - Did your dad fab up the line lock for you? I had a standard installed, but even with traction control off - it didn't work very well. I was able to get a better burnout just powerbraking. Also - the compnay making my cams keeps giving me the 'we have them but they're just not ready to ship' crap. and they still won't give me any specs on them. I'm still holding my breath and just going to do new valve springs in the meantime.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i'm almost done....maybe. i think i should be close to my goal of low 12's but i won't know until spring.
anyway my wife cut me off after the wheels were ordered so i'll have to cool off for a while. i think realistically right at 100lbs. is gone. the AJE atuff is all chrome moly and is super light. i don't think it would be my first choice for corner carving but it's probably stiffer than the stock one. i'll have the toe set and get a test drive in the morning it took me a while tonight to get the camber set right so i left it on the lift for one more night. i also got the motor mounts today. they were a piece of cake to install and they look good! too bad you can't see them.

Search this Thread