Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:42 AM
DEEPBLUE

Default RE: running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK

hi guys.....
i'm in Italy, o bought the Mustang in Germany......Ford doesnt cover the Warranty here in europe...sure.i have talk with a Ford manager of my area and he was proud to do me a manteniance program to the local dealer....he was happy to do taht because it was a honor for Ford Italy to have a Mustang inside of the garage.....btu there are words not Warranty.
the lonely way to have it is the mine(and i don't know if it's right).
i bought the car from a Ford Dealer that's he is also Import Us cars in Germany so i have the Ford Invoice and i keep this.
i have trust in Ford .....but that's it.
About the fill gas troubles......also my car have this.
i have read the TBS....i have also print the page and ship to my Ford dealer her in my area (where i do th lught manteniance program) but he doesn't tell me back now(from 2 months !)
i think we should take fun with and don't think about the Warranty.
About the Octane usually i run with 95 here (around 91 us) and i have no problem.
ciao G.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:35 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: feyaz

hi, I'm new here, I drove a 2005 mustang GT while on holiday in Vegas (from UK), so basically I WANT!

we have much higher octane fuel than you guys, our lowest is 95, but most performance cars here will run on 97 or 98, or the just released 99. will the mustang GT 4.6 drink this or will it cook valves?

why is the mustang so cheap? I couldn't get a decent sporty Vauxhall Astra (similar a Chevrolet Cobalt, I believe its the same platform) for mustang money.

also, does anyone know if ford uk would honor a warranty?

thanks
feyaz
The octane levels you mentioned won't cook valves, not even close in fact I wish we had it here. There are a few stations that do have it but they charge up the wazooo for it.
I'm not sure why anybody would think 30k loaded for any car is cheap. The Cobalt is just OVER priced...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
feyaz

wow thanks for the repsonses.

firstly I want to look at importing DIY because 1. importers are marking up prices too much, by DIY I could save $7000, 2. I get a holiday.
TAX will be a massive 17.5% as with everything else here, and duty is a fixed rate of 10% on cars, however there are ways of "bending" the rules, for example in the past Daewoo imported cars into the uk without wheels and therefore classed them as spare parts.

the MON, RON thing could explain things, I'll ask one of my lecturers at university about it, he's a fuels expert - although we bores me.

the new 99 RON fuel here is amazing, my 2.5 V6 Vauxhal/Opel Cavalier/Vectra(A) does a top speed of 152.1 MPH on 95 RON, and on 99 RON it was doing 153.4 MPH (GPS tracked), and 0-60 down by 0.15 seconds and but fuel economy improvement of 1.2 MPG.

Are we really luck to have high octane fuel???, you guys are so so so lucky with fuel, while I was over there it made me sick, we pay over $6 a gallon for fuel and you guys a complaining about nearly $3.

By the way I would never buy a BMW or Mercedes, BMW make ulgy but pretty good cars, Mercedes make ugly, poorly built crap and both are just over priced badges, and both are too common. And japanese cars might be reliable but just look at them, and they're "soul-less", I had a nissan for a few days are someone asked me what it was like to drive, I was speachless, like someone asking what my paper stapler is like, just another machine.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

wow thanks for the repsonses.

firstly I want to look at importing DIY because 1. importers are marking up prices too much, by DIY I could save $7000, 2. I get a holiday.
TAX will be a massive 17.5% as with everything else here, and duty is a fixed rate of 10% on cars, however there are ways of "bending" the rules, for example in the past Daewoo imported cars into the uk without wheels and therefore classed them as spare parts.

the MON, RON thing could explain things, I'll ask one of my lecturers at university about it, he's a fuels expert - although we bores me.

the new 99 RON fuel here is amazing, my 2.5 V6 Vauxhal/Opel Cavalier/Vectra(A) does a top speed of 152.1 MPH on 95 RON, and on 99 RON it was doing 153.4 MPH (GPS tracked), and 0-60 down by 0.15 seconds and but fuel economy improvement of 1.2 MPG.

Are we really luck to have high octane fuel???, you guys are so so so lucky with fuel, while I was over there it made me sick, we pay over $6 a gallon for fuel and you guys a complaining about nearly $3.

By the way I would never buy a BMW or Mercedes, BMW make ulgy but pretty good cars, Mercedes make ugly, poorly built crap and both are just over priced badges, and both are too common. And japanese cars might be reliable but just look at them, and they're "soul-less", I had a nissan for a few days are someone asked me what it was like to drive, I was speachless, like someone asking what my paper stapler is like, just another machine.
We complain about $3.00 a gallon because our economy and peoples wages are used to much lower. Europe has had insane fuel prices for so long thier economy has adjusted for it, wages have adjusted for it. People here living on the typical income can't handle such large changes in not only fuel but natural gas price changes. I keep hearing how we're lucky, not sure I agree, average wage increases are about 3%, when stuck with a 50% increase in fuel pricing people often find they have to struggle just to keep driving to work.

Many of us on this forum seem to be beyond this struggle but believe me the average Joe is not. My sister has 2 kids and one income, if it wasn't for family she would not be able to afford filling up her car. Gas company profits are at an all time high, clearly the gas pricing is not where it should be or these unheard of profits would not be so high. But hey, as long as the CEO's and upper management are happy, the corrupt political idiots who are in the hip pockets of big oil are happy we will continue to pay whatever is charged.

Nobody says a word because "we're lucky"....

Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
feyaz

viking396
when you look at it that way yes your fuel prices are high, and I suppose the exchange rate at the moment does favour us, but what I am really angry at in the UK is the +70% duty on fuel. when our government are questioned over it they say "which schools and hospitals should we close, if we put the duty down". the government still see a car as a luxury here, so if you can afford the run a car you can afford to pay more taxes - which for a lot of people and businesses is not the case, and they are destroying the UK's competitiveness. It's probably the same for you guys.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

What viking396 said is true.
1. The average joe doesn't get large increases in pay every year.
2. Healthcare cost are being shifted from the employer to the employees.
3. The US doesn't have a mass transite system that goes to too many places.
4. Long distance to travel to and from work. I have a 54 mile round trip every day.
5. High gasoline cost effect other cost of items, bread, milk, etc... are more expensive to ship and the companies transfer it to the costumer.

The cost of things have gone up by alot and people are not being paid in accordance with the increase in cost.
ex. my natural gas bill alone went up 24%.

People have no choice but to buy the gas at what ever the cost. They will then cut out other things like going out to diner, movies and vacations. Now of course this hurts other businesses and employees.

But as long as the Politicains and oil companies are happy who am I to complain.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

viking396
when you look at it that way yes your fuel prices are high, and I suppose the exchange rate at the moment does favour us, but what I am really angry at in the UK is the +70% duty on fuel. when our government are questioned over it they say "which schools and hospitals should we close, if we put the duty down". the government still see a car as a luxury here, so if you can afford the run a car you can afford to pay more taxes - which for a lot of people and businesses is not the case, and they are destroying the UK's competitiveness. It's probably the same for you guys.
What can I say, I agree with you 100% What else is sad, in my state they created the lottery to help fund the schools, they raised taxes to help fund the schools but then every year more programs are lost, sports programs are dropped and so are classes because they say they are under-funded.

Millions of dollars are raised at the state and federal level, yet it's never enough....

I digress, this is giving me a headache.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

viking396
What can I say, I agree with you 100% What else is sad, in my state they created the lottery to help fund the schools, they raised taxes to help fund the schools but then every year more programs are lost, sports programs are dropped and so are classes because they say they are under-funded.

Millions of dollars are raised at the state and federal level, yet it's never enough....

Don't forget the Elgin riverboat.
Ah the majesty of Illinois. =/
Old 01-04-2006, 04:45 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Traken

viking396

Excellent point! Elgin is becoming a new town because of that thing! Look at the new Library etc..... they're making a fortune off that boat!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Traken

viking396

Excellent point! Elgin is becoming a new town because of that thing! Look at the new Library etc..... they're making a fortune off that boat!
They still squander most of the money, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK