Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
feyaz

Default running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK

hi, I'm new here, I drove a 2005 mustang GT while on holiday in Vegas (from UK), so basically I WANT!

we have much higher octane fuel than you guys, our lowest is 95, but most performance cars here will run on 97 or 98, or the just released 99. will the mustang GT 4.6 drink this or will it cook valves?

why is the mustang so cheap? I couldn't get a decent sporty Vauxhall Astra (similar a Chevrolet Cobalt, I believe its the same platform) for mustang money.

also, does anyone know if ford uk would honor a warranty?

thanks
feyaz
Old 12-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK

Its built to use minimum octane (87) here in the USA and you will have no performance gains at all with a higher octane fuel unless tuned for it. Im not sure if the adjust the timing to effect your minumum octane rating of 95, but i suggest you get a tuner to take advantage of the 95. That is still a super high octane, highest pump gas we have is 93.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:59 PM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand out of your questions, it seems you want to buy the mustang in the US and import it into the UK. It would be much easier to just buy an already imported one from a dealer in the UK. If you buy one here and import it, it will have to be rebuilt to amtch emission standards, octane etc. in the UK. All that, plus shipping + taxes will save you a minimal amount and give you a heck of more headaches.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:02 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

you can run the high octane gas with no problems at all except you will get some crap building up in your engine and exhaust due to the amount of unburned fuel.

It may even trigger a MIL.

I would just get a tuner and tune the car to really high octane setting. You will gain significant HP and not have to worry about finding the "good" gas.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

Ford Dealers worldwide will honor your warrenty. I bought my car in New mexico and am now in germany, I got my fuel tank replaced last week due to the slow to fill problem, and it was covered under warrenty.

You may want to weight the benefits/cost or importing a mustang or just purchasing one in the UK. I know here in germany that driving a mustang is like driving a higher class of BMW or Mercedes in the states. And BMW and Mercedes are a dime a dozen here.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Blondblues

Hi!

I called Shell here in Sweden regarding the fuel octane situation between US and Europe.
They told me that the fuel is more or less the same three categories in the US that we have over here.
But the way the octane is calculated is diffrent.
This means that the 95 octane unleaded you can buy here in Sweden is similar to the mid quality they sell in the US.
And that the 98 octane unleaded you can buy here in Sweden is similar to the US top quality of 93(?) octane. I cant remeber if that was 89 or 91 or 93 octane in the US.

If you are unsure call your petrol manufacurer HQ in the UK and they will tell you.

When it comes to warranty ity is not WW.
My 05- GT is from Canada it it does not give me any warranty at all here in Sweden with the Ford dealers.
This is very unfortunate for me since I too have the slow to fill problem.
Can anyone give me more information what actually causes this?
I'd be very intrested on more info to that topic.
How is this solved?
I hear that even the 06 mustangs has this problem so bringing home a new tank might not solve it.
On my car the dealer here in Sweden helped me with changing the refueling pipe down to the tank but it didn't help.
And aperently my cars fuel tank has exactly the same sparepart number as a new one would have.

Regards
/Jens
Old 01-01-2006, 02:20 PM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

with regards to importing back to england yourself or buying an already imported car, the importers over hre are sticking on a hefty mark up which went up even more earlier this year by approx $15k as GT's became harder to come by, it is however somewhat easier as the paperwork/import taxes/required modifications are all taken care of, but does the extra cost outweigh the lack of paperwork/hassle, i am also looking to import back to England
Old 01-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

As stated above, I think the only reason you have "higher octane" petrol in the Uk is because they use a different rating system. The US average MON and RON (Motor Octane Number) and Reserach Octance Number) to get the value reported on the pump. the 93 octance premium you see is about equal to 97-98 Octane gasoline of old here in the states (before they changed the rules.

I would think you would have no problem at all running a US GT on your premium there. You 98 octance is probably essentially the same as our 93 octane. And realize these car's have computers that vary the timing if they sense the gas is different quality, so they will adjust, a bit, if it is a bit over or under.
I doubt the Mustang would much more power on higher octane gasoline anyway. Its designed for up to 93 octance and that's it. You generally see big gains from increasing octane only on modified engines. I know that is the way it is with Corvettes. One station here in central NC sells 103 octance -- as measured in our current US system -- for about $5/gallon. I dynoed my corvette (when stock) with and without this in the tank and it made no difference in power output. After mods it makes about 15 HP difference.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I would check with FORD on sweden not honoring your warranty. You have to goto an actual ford factory dealer. Not some jo-shmoe ford dealer. The warrenty should be honored since FORD is FORD.. FORD of USA, FORD of Germany, FORD of sweden..etc.. all owned by FORD MOTOR COMPANY.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM
flyingkiwi

With regard to the warranty be honoured outside of the US - here's a snippet from the Ford Cars and Light Trucks Warranty Guide:

"DO WARRANTIES APPLY IN OTHER COUNTRIES?
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the Emissions Warranties described in this booklet apply to your vehicle if:
• it was originally purchased through the Ford Worldwide Direct Marketing Operations Military Sales Program; or
• it was originally sold or leased by Ford Motor Company or one of its dealers in the United States or U.S Federalized Territories, and it was originally registered/licensed and operated in the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada.
If you meet either of these two requirements, you do have warranty coverage when you travel with this vehicle outside the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. In some cases, however, you may have to pay the servicing Ford dealer in a foreign country or U.S. Federalized Territory for a repair that is covered under the U.S. warranty. If this happens, be sure to save the paid repair order or invoice. You should present this document to a U.S. Ford Motor Company dealer for warranty refund consideration."

The complete document can be found HERE online.

So if you're going to take the DIY approach it looks like you'll have to at least register it in the US before exporting it to the UK.

Quick Reply: running on high octane fuel (95+) - UK