Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or V8?

Old 01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Ryder

Default RE: V6 or V8?

I want to go test drive a 05 v6 mustang and see if it would have the same accleration and speed as my truck that was a 5.3L v8 in it.

My truck has a v8 but it also weighs a lot more than a mustang too so we will see.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:57 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryder

I'm not going to be drag racing or street racing any time soon so I am leaning more towards the v6.

I checked with my insurance and the v8 would only be $9 more a month than a v6 would be.

What would I have to do to put GT fog lights on a v6?
Only 9 bucks difference?!?!? Considering the insurance rating of the GT vs the V6 this is a hard one to believe, but what they hey, I've heard stranger things. If you got the new Pony it has Fog Lights but they are smaller.

Here is a pic of my wifes '06 Pony

Old 01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
fso119
2nd Gear Member

$9 buck difference between the v6 and gt. Wow. Check your insurance agent for the difference between the coupe and 'vert. It should be a big difference. It was like $200 per year cheaper to get the 'vert for me then the coupe.

Something about being cheaper to replace the ragtop then a coupe roof. It was a toss up for me. I wanted either a GT coupe or a v6 'vert w/o ordering. I found the one I wanted.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:56 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Look at ins cost and deductible options, etc. I don't think you'll see a significant difference and fuel economy is not much different. If you want a rear wheel drive 'average quality' car then at least get some muscle (get the GT); otherwise get a relatively base Camry or Accord. They ride better, quieter, awesome 'fit and finish', front wheel for all seasons not to mention high resale when you finally pick up a GT one day. I love my 06 GT, but my 2000Mits Galant is a much easier and pleasant ride; course that's my daily commuter and the Stang is for nice weather Fun & Go!!! Personally I can't see the V6 at all, jmho, sorry.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

Since your in school, I would get a V6. After you get a good job and more $$$, get a GT. Or you can always add mods to your V6 to make it faster.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Ryder

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Look at ins cost and deductible options, etc. I don't think you'll see a significant difference and fuel economy is not much different. If you want a rear wheel drive 'average quality' car then at least get some muscle (get the GT); otherwise get a relatively base Camry or Accord. They ride better, quieter, awesome 'fit and finish', front wheel for all seasons not to mention high resale when you finally pick up a GT one day. I love my 06 GT, but my 2000Mits Galant is a much easier and pleasant ride; course that's my daily commuter and the Stang is for nice weather Fun & Go!!! Personally I can't see the V6 at all, jmho, sorry.
I live in Arizona so I don't have to worry about the weather.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

the difference in appearance of the V6 compared to the V8 is next to nothing

I have known alot of guys in my time who thought the V6 version of a Camaro or Mustang was plenty for them until they actually owned it and ended up wishing they had bought the stronger model.

If you are going to go ahead and buy a V6, I suggest you make absolutely sure that is what you actually want.

The sixxers are good cars and lots of fun. Chicks dig them and 90% of the time they don't know or care if it's a six or an eight

......but the V8 guys will never think it's cool.

It all depends on what YOU want and your budget

Search this Thread