Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a stickshift...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Driving a stickshift...

get the manual GT mustang. i learned in 1 hour to drive a stick. id never shifted a gear in my life. if you can just get the "feel" thing down and dont think about the shifting, you will be in buisness. It when you think about it is when you f**k up.

once you get it, YOU GET IT. And its the greatest feeling ever to light em up, then go motorin' as fast as you can down the street at night. If your going to get a V6 or an automatic, id almost say dont even bother unless your commuting to work in LA everday...theoretically will save a bit of gas, or just be easier on your left leg and right arm but i mean if thats what you want, a car meant to be DRIVEN, like the Mustang GT, isnt what you want. Get some asian car with that annoying velvety feeling seat material and some basic sound system and 14 inch wheels and front wheel drive and an automatic and a 2.0 litre "engine"...or even better yet, get a electric car....WHOO HOO! no offense wasabi, they serve their purpose in an extremely good manner, honestly, its just if you want something fun, get the MANUAL mustang GT.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 AM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

when you take your drivers test over there in america do you get the choice to pass with either a stick or an auto? and once passed on either can you legaly drive either? over here in england if you pass the test in an auto you have to re-test in a stick to legaly drive a stick, if you pass in a stick you can drive either
Old 01-08-2006, 08:42 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninja205

when you take your drivers test over there in america do you get the choice to pass with either a stick or an auto? and once passed on either can you legaly drive either? over here in england if you pass the test in an auto you have to re-test in a stick to legaly drive a stick, if you pass in a stick you can drive either
Where I live you have to bring your own car to the test. Rather it be an auto or manual, and once you pass you can drive whatever you want.
You better get the 5 speed manual. The only reason I bought my auto GT is because it was a hella good price, other than that I would have got a manual. Its not that hard to learn. I first learned on my g/f's Cavalier with a worn out clutch, easy as hell once you practice. And then I took my 15 year old brother out into the county so he could learn, took him like 30 minutes to figure it out.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
shep987

Go with tht manual, I have been driving to work in stop and go traffic every day for the last 4 years driving a manual supra. I wouldn't trade my manual gt for an automatic ever. Plus it is really fun having that kinda power with a manual.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Wadatai
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NoOriginalNamesLeft

Yeah Wadatai my dad used to work for the Honda plant, which is in Marysville by the way, not Dayton. But it's still a Japanese company, so calling the car such is valid. And as for learning in a stang, you might as well. I learned in a 3.0 Z4, and I'll tell you what, that was the scariest/most fun thing I did for quite some time. I think I ended up accidentaly red lineing it through 3rd gear for a day or so, drove the neighbors nuts, and scared the crap out of my parents when the saw me.
I actually said "outside of Dayton." According to mapquest the plant is about an hour from Dayton. I should have said outside of Columbus.

But I never said "IN" Dayton.

And the fact is, they are still employing American labor and and American workforce. American's are taking home those paychecks. PERIOD.

But thanks for the correction. I apologize if I was being misleading.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
chris_l_usa
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wadatai

Not really anti-mustang. Just another opinion. If you like your car than you'll accept opinions--the good and the bad. Nothing you can say about Honda will make me dislike the NSX or S2k.
Have you not realized that people have heard your opinion. Now that we know how you feel you are more than welcome to LEAVE
Old 01-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Ryder

Yeah I understand what you guys are saying about feeling when to shift. When I ride dirtbikes you can just feel when you need to shift.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wadatai

Stangs were made to be automatics. It's the quasi-sportscar.

If you want a sportscar, and not something that makes 50-somethings feel young again, buy an S2000. That is a sportscar Bro.

hahaha,

you're an idiot

that is all.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 AM
slak05gt
2nd Gear Member

NMO the manual GT is the only choice, stick shift and V8, best of both. They are the only two options that matter. BTW they make tampon dispencers to go in automatics, there is a thread about it in the Off Topic section
Old 01-09-2006, 12:14 AM
351foxstang
3rd Gear Member

don't worry about learning its not hard at all. a few years ago i took my brother out in my ranger pick up to teach him. after he had been watching me drive it for quite some time he got the hang of it without stalling it at all. at the time he was only 12 years old. if you have a sense of how it works (like from riding your bikes) you will have no trouble at all.