Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wish your Stang was more tech savvy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:21 PM
blacklaw

Default RE: Ever wish your Stang was more tech savvy?

My back is shot, so heated seats would be nice.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:43 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

not a bit... its a mustang not a BMW
Old 01-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Constantly! That's why Mustang needs to offer 2 more different versions: One for old fashioned gearheads who are looking for speed- give it all the engine and suspension upgrades that are street legal- bigger rims & tires, functional hood scoops, better brakes, maybe the Cammer engine...
The other should be for those of us who love the toys and gadgets but want to drive the hottest looking car around! I looked at the Acura as well as the Infinity GS and the Lexus is350. I'd love to have things like Navigation, voice command center, electric tilt/telescoping steering wheel, that trick key sensor that the Lexus has (where you just keep your keys in your pocket and when you get within a yard of the car it'll unlock for you), Seat memory, and a real sound system that'll play my homemade cds. Both cars would probably cost $10,000 plus over the current sticker price, making them $40,000 Mustangs, but then I'd have what I (and many others) want! I mean who wants to drive the Acura TL? When you drive it down the street will any heads turn? NO! Same with the Lexus! The colors are so boring! You think my car crazy nephew would be excited to see me pull up in one? Not really!
I figure while the Japanese do make great cars out of the box, they are all the same. I feel lots of Americans want a car which shows a bit of individuality. That's why the auto parts market is so huge! Ever see what they're doing to the PT Cruisers? Check out http://www.pteazer.com
Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Hm, the manual in my old '67 was basically a bunch of sticks that worked intermittently (it was a 3 speed). The steering was manual, as were the brakes, and the clutch was a rod that poked through the bellhousing, and pivoted between the engine block and shock tower. But that car was more fun to drive than any other car i've been in... including my car now, and an '03 RSX type S. The '67 was even a six cylinder.

I guess some of those gadgets might make it more practical to use for work... or for driving. But they also distract from the driving experience. I kinda wish they made a mustang that weighed 2600-2800 pounds, with no safety mechanisms, no power steering or brakes (well... maybe brakes)

Sure, lots of people would die, but they'd have fun doing it. The first thing i pointed out to my passengers in my '67 was that: "Hey, you've only got a lap belt, ok? Now see this dashboard? Basically it's just foam covering some really jagged rusty metal. Ever heard of crumple zones? Yeah, me neither."
Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 AM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

I just got my 06' GT mustang 3 months ago. I traded in my 2004 Jaguar S-type R. It was the 390 horse supercharged brembo'ed braked and chromed out amazing piece of machinery. However it had every gizmo inside, from automatic everything, touch screen navi, moon roofs, heated seats.....everything but the coffee maker. It was a premium gas guzzler and brake jobs and tires every 9000 miles was killing me, so i got my stang. My biggest concern was whether or not i was going to miss all the electronic toys and gizmos......not for a second. The stang has everything you need and nothing you dont. (the only thing i miss is an auto dimming mirror). Otherwise, let the good times roll.... And btw....americans invented the muscle car, and the japanese invented.....well everything with lights and buttons. Thats why everyone still continues to do, what they do best! If i wanted a 60 thousand dollar ipod with 4 wheels.......i would buy an acura.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:58 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

hmm...i know you can get heated seats from your dealer...ask and they will install, i think it is about $500
Old 01-16-2006, 11:30 AM
diondon
1st Gear Member

Personally i feel that from 2004 up every car should come with navigation. I mean what if you get lost? Hell even Camry's and Hyundai come with navigation and they are considered as econo bargain cars. At least let it be an option and let people who want it pay for it.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Alot of motorcycle owners are buying this particular GPS... http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/P...s/iWAY500C.asp
Whats really nice about it is you can quick change it between the bike and Mustang easily. We have a window mount for the Mustang and the GPS sits nicely on the very middle of the dash in that curved area. You can do a search for a store or gas station or fast food/restruant nearby in places you don't know your way around. On our bike it hooks into a holder that is on the handlebar. This has a voice that tells you where to turn and its a touch screen too. The screen is a good size for us older ones with worse sight.

This company also just came out with the iway 350 which is half the size of the 500c but its not waterproof like the bigger one is. My hubby is "techy" too and I don't know how to use half the stuff he has bought!

Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Blackness
1st Gear Member

I'd like to have my family room very tech savy.....home theater, art deco...yes my house....but my car? why? I dont live in it.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
JML
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slak05gt

Call me old fashioned but the only options I need in my cockpit are am/fm radio, tach, and cruise. Gotta love the Cruise control.
Same here...
Essentials for driving: Good engine, MT, tach, basic gauges and a cd/mp3 player.
Nice to have: TCS.
The rest is just vanity!

Quick Reply: Ever wish your Stang was more tech savvy?