Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Cruehead
1st Gear Member

Default Sat Radio Installation

Who's put satellite radio in their ride and how did you install it? Location of the head unit, and power/antenna wire run locations would be helpful!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:54 AM
blacklaw

Default RE: Sat Radio Installation

I had it installed by Circuit City, and had a separate FM modulator installed. The unit itself, I had them install it between the vents above the power port. The antenna was installed on the upper right-hand side of the front window. Looks and sounds great. I have not listened to normal radio since.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26674/99A3BCC6B6C6402FBCAA957C4308C25E.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26674/0E4E5B1A334945DA803F1AB4D5EC84EA.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26674/4BEEFB085D37456FA6CC1789EE7D109A.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-15-2006, 02:19 AM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

i don't have any picture for ya, but i bought a apline deck and a hidden sirius tuner that plugs into the deck hardwired, the deck controls everything.

its very slick, hardwired. they put the attenna in the middle bottom of the back window, i never have reception problems, and my back window was limo tinted, so its black on black, which hides it more.

EDIT: its placed right on the ford back windshield writing. if that helps, as for wiring i don't know how they routed that.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:45 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I have a Kenwood DDX7015 head unit and Sirius. The head unit controls the Sirius tuner. The tuner is in the trunk. The antenna is in the rear deck. No reception problems other than the normal expected issues if you are in a parking garage or go under a wide bridge or something like that.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

the guys who installed mine said they had to place it on the outside of the vehicle. is that somewhat false for newer sat radio's? i wanted them to put it in the engine compartment just infront of the windshield and they said it wouldn't work. or by rear deck do you mean in the spoiler/fin/wing?

i told them to hide my tuner and they put it under the center console behind the shifter. you can see it if you pull the shifter boot out, no issues with it in there.

and for the record it is my, and everyone i know's opinion that sirius is 100% better then XM, better music station catogory's and selection. and it has howard stern now.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

No idea why this double posted...
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

No, by rear deck I mean it is sitting dead center between the rear speakers. Piece of velcro on the back of the antenna to hold it on the carpet and keep it from sliding around. The rear window is slanted enough that you have plenty of visibility to the satellite through the window.

I have my GPS antenna right next to it. No problems with it either
Old 01-15-2006, 03:29 AM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

oh hell, good to know, i suggested front dash to them but they said no to that, and told me no to anywhere inside the vehicle.

thats a good idea for placement, wish i thought of it. i guess i'll have to move it. mines placed on the outside of the glass in the same spot anyway.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Cruehead
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Blacklaw...that's exactly where want to put mine (between the vents) but I'm having a problem with the wiring obstructing the mount...I'll have to get an adapter like you have.

Thanks again all.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 AM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Nice install blacklaw. We use the top of the dash where it curves down a bit above where you have your sat radio to hold the iway 500c gps as it fits perfectly there with the window mount that is easy to put in or take out.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio Installation