Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration with Aluminum Drive Shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:46 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default Vibration with Aluminum Drive Shaft??

I have the JPC aluminum driveshaft and 2 piece safety loop. I notice cruising at high speeds (+90 mph) I feel a vibration under my seat. It is only when I'm cruising at high speed in 5th. There is no vibration at WOT at any speed. Has anyone else noticed similar? (Spyder....please??)
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration with Aluminum Drive Shaft??

take a passenger and see if they feel a vibration under their seat?

maybe something is just loose somewhere
Old 01-16-2006, 03:10 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I'll try it Andy, thanks. I just thought if something was loose I would feel the vibration all the time. (at speed anyway) I'll try it and get it on a rack this week and check it out. Still would like to hear from someone who has an aluminum shaft. I'll just PM sypder.....LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 11:18 AM
fin1
1st Gear Member

I have the PowerHouse aluminum shaft & safety loop and have no issues. You should get it checked out.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:57 PM
jharness

I get it too. I haven't figured out what caused it. I did two things. 1. Dropped shaft to install shifter 2. Added Metco LCA. Mine is like a real bad drone from about 75 to 85 in fith gear. If you figure it out PM me.
-Jim
Old 01-16-2006, 11:06 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

what gears did you go with killer? have you replaced the posi unit with a heavy duty eaton or auburn? i think that's the problem as i explained in the pm. i will figure it out cause it drives me nuts that many people have no problems when changing gears and d/shafts. there is another problem somewhere in the driveline. the only thing i can come up with is the carrier being machined wrong. nothing else would cause the backlash to change when rotating the ring gear.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

what gears did you go with killer? have you replaced the posi unit with a heavy duty eaton or auburn? i think that's the problem as i explained in the pm. i will figure it out cause it drives me nuts that many people have no problems when changing gears and d/shafts. there is another problem somewhere in the driveline. the only thing i can come up with is the carrier being machined wrong. nothing else would cause the backlash to change when rotating the ring gear.
Ditto and thanks for the PM. I have 4.10 gears on the stock posi. I'm also going to go with the Eaton and keep me informed on your findings. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:46 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

will do. i'll post the problem if i can find it. i mean when i find it.[&:]
Old 01-16-2006, 11:52 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Probably going to sound like a stupid suggestion but have you disconnected the drive shaft and tried rotating it 180 degrees and see if the noise or the condition that causes the noise changes any?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i haven't tried that yet. but i have had it out multiple times so i don't think it was in the same position each time. what the hell? it's worth a try! i put a hard rubber spacer inbetween the companion flange and the shaft and that seemed to help some but still getting the whine at 40-60mph on light load. i think i'll take it apart again and increase the backlash more. it doesn't do it when it's cold. but after 1 mile then it's there.maybe it just needs more backlash to compensate for whatever is wrong in there.

Quick Reply: Vibration with Aluminum Drive Shaft??