Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM radio antenna

Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: XM radio antenna

Hopefully this clears up the clutter I so happen to read about in here.

Just to start you off I am a Professional Certified Installer with a large name company that you probably shop at alot (just being discreet)

First off the satellite signal is infra-red and there is a new technology in windows and window tinting that is called "low-e" or low-emissions window. This type of window blocks infra-red signal from passing through leading to a cooler sunbeam shinning through.

There is a possibilty that the back window on the 05s and up have this. They may not either.

The failure rate of the antennas is very low with XM but is higher with Sirius. I probably have 1 out of 200 XM antennas go bad but have about 1 out of 75 Sirius antennas go bad. Sirius hardware is also more prone to problems because it runs off a 12v power source rather than XM's 6v power source. (More voltage, more heat.....more heat, more wear).

I install about 3-4 satellite radios everyday and 90% of the time I place the antenna on the dash inside the vehicle. Never had any problems with the reception. Very few come back stating they are having problems with their reception.

Most cases they come back because the actual Wireless FM signal is bad, not the antenna. So go into the menu and select "antenna aimming" and make sure that "Sat" and "Terr" have a good signal (at least 1/4) on either one or both. If this is the case then it is not your antenna but the wireless FM modular built into the cheap roady's. This can be fixed with a FM Direct ($29.99)

Also the manual states that the antenna does in fact need to be mounted on the outside onto metal because of grounding purposes. This I have never found an issue. XM just says this so they can have grounds to argue about when you call and say your antenna is having issues.

So hopefully this info helps you out and if you need anymore questions about satellite radio I can be found in the 5.0 section. Or just PM me and I can post in here again.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:09 AM
diablito
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I have an XM radio on my stang and I have a simple solution which is nice and clean. Now, don't go putting the antenna on the paint becasue even though its magnetic, it will scratch your car. What I did, I bought a that 3M double sided tape you use for body kits and emblems and such and cut it to fit the little XM antenna provided. I put the antenna next to the radio antenna and ran the cable inside the plastic which is located where the doors close. I ran the cable all the way through the bottom and hid it in the glove compartment. I have an alpine screen so its XM ready, but for those who have the roady kit, just run the cable the same way.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

This might dispell some of the rumblings and grumblings that have been going on in this thread...

I just installed the XM tuner to work with my Kenwood radio and I put the antenna almost everywhere inside my car and it worked nicely everywhere...

My final spot where I am going to leave it is inbetween the rear speakers inside the car