MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Quick help needed with TRI-AX (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/89633-quick-help-needed-with-tri-ax.html)

2006GT 01-21-2006 05:17 PM

Quick help needed with TRI-AX

I bought a used TRI-AX for my 2006 GT on ebay for a good price. Had it insytalled today, but the shifter has issues. First off, pulling on the handle reveals about 1/8 inch of up and down travel. When starting out in first gear, it sounds like something is slapping the center console...kinda like a bunch of bolts rattling around inside the glove box. It doesn't seem to do this in any other gear, including reverse when starting to move. I'm not talking about gear noise. I had another TRI-AX on a 96 Cobra, and it did not do this. Mechanically speaking, it performs as it should...shifts perfectly. The thing that really bothers me in the up and down slop in the handle. The shop heard the noise and had it back on the rack checking everything out as far as tightness goes, and they can't figure it out. The shop also says they have done one other TRI-AX on a 2005+ and did not have these issues. I talked with the seller, and they insist all parts are with the shifter and it was fine on their car. Steeda's instructions and their website aren't much help, and their offices are closed. Is there something wrong with this shifter? Is there an install problem? Is there a bushing or something I can buy to keep it from rattling? Help! Labor on this is $140 bucks a pop plus 2 hours of shop time. I'm kinda spooked about driving it this way if there is something loose or potentially damaging to my tranny. I don't wanna buy a new one of those out of pocket after only 1000 miles. Thanks in advance.

2006GT 01-21-2006 11:48 PM

RE: Quick help needed with TRI-AX

Anyone?

MusiccityGT 01-22-2006 01:11 AM

Don't know on the tri-ax, but I installed a Pro50 and I had to readjust the throw stops a little as it was making a little noise going into first. Don't know if the tri-ax has the throw adjustments. Your labor sounds excessive. I installed mine myself in less than 1 hour (on a lift). Are you certain all of the bushing are installed properly?

2006GT 01-24-2006 01:04 PM

As it turns out, after 3 straight days of troubleshooting, it was a misaligned driveshaft bearing that was causing all my problems. Anyone else having similar issues may want to check that first...easy fix. I was so happy when they found the problem I almost did cartwheels in the shop.

GaPony 05-14-2006 10:51 AM

Sorry to bring up such an old post but did you have any other kind of shifter chatter or noise in any other gear? At about 3k rpm I'm getting some chatter no matter what gear i'm. Other guys say that it sometimes happens with these aftermarket shifters. I have a Steeda Tri Ax as well. How did they adjust the misaligned driveshat bearing and was it misaligned because they removed it to put in the new shifter? Lotta questions for ya GT!

2006GT 05-14-2006 11:16 AM

Yes, there will be additional noise with this shifter. If I really step on the gas at lower RPMs, I can really hear it. Supposedly it can be eliminated by purchasing the shifter isolator bushings from steeda. I think they are pretty cheap, and go between the shifter and handle. I haven't bought them...noise hasn't bothered me that much. As far as adjustment of the driveshaft bearing, they just moved it to the factory location. When they installed the shifter, they put it in the wrong place, allowing the driveshaft to vibrate as it spun up causing all my noise. Keep in mind, the noise I had wasn't a mild amount of gear chatter through the handle. It was very loud, like something was beating on the body.

GaPony 05-14-2006 11:40 AM

Good info, thanks