Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert

remeind him of the times when he was a teenager and wanted a vert stang
Old 01-24-2006, 03:27 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert

in ten years the sebring will be worthless and falling...the mustang will be climbing already
get the mustang GT convertible and heck, you might get to drive it 10-15 years for free, depending on what happens to auto prices here...but I'm guessin the 2016 mustang gt convertible will be about 100k- something to think about.you can drive it year round, but might want snowtires(see stoenr) and you should definitely get it undercoated somewhere if its gonna see salt... (I went even further: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....dpost&p=615988 )

if you keep it rinsed well, and try to keep salt off it, you could be ok.

only variable will be whats the 3v 4.6 gonna be like 10 years from now- hopefully no durability issues pop up. I'm counting on it.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

I drove a Sebring vert (rental) for a week while my car stereo was being installed in my 05 stang. That thing had lots of chassis flex.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

Do a little research on the sebring convertibles before buying one. Ive heard they had a lot of trouble with them.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

Resale Man Resale. The stang will be worth more in 5 years than the Sebring. Front wheel drive is okay, but you have more moving parts in the driveline and that relates to more cost on repairs. Chrysler cars really drop in value after the first year or two and alot more people would rather buy a used Stang over a Sebring. That's my 2 cents woth.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:21 AM
PonyPower

My dads first car was a 66 stang fastback I believe. He didnt seem to show must interest last year when I got my 01 stang but now that the new body style is here he thinks its real "cool" that it went retro. But we do live in Massachusetts so the snow factor is always there in the winter...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:10 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Only chicks should drive Sebrings, it's not too manly IMO.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723
theres one guy on here- licence plate "Grampaa" and he is "The Ol' Man"

you can be another cool old man with a vert stang!
Where do you get off calling me old, you young whipper snapper?

Just because I have seven grandchildren, that doesn't make me OLD.

I was considering the Chrysler Sebring and have test driven several. It doesn't have that much more rear seat room than the Mustang. The JX (older models) or LX (newer ones) has an engine that is just too weak. The JXi and LXi is better and I could probably live with one of those. Styling has never been all that exciting.

I also test drove the Beetle convertible, which is a good convertible, but there's no way I'm buying another VW Beetle after the problems I've had with my wife's current one. The Mazda Miata was also on the list if I were to give up on the back seat. (I used to have an S2000, by the way).

What finally sold me on the Mustang was taking it for a test drive. The Mustang convertible probably has the best wind protection of any convertible that I tried, even though the Sebring is pretty good and the VW is also excellent. I was curious if the V-6 was good enough. It was, and I came back and bought the car the next day.

All I can suggest is to go test drive both cars. If he still likes the Sebring better after driving the Mustang, then maybe it's a better choice. I happened to like driving the Mustang way more than the Sebring and have never been sorry that I bought the car.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

One more thing... My insurance rate between the '03 Sebring and the '05 Mustang was $4 per 6 months... that should help convince

And SpikeGT - that is like saying only chicks should drive Mustangs... or ferrari's, or any other car... It is not the car, it is the man driving it. a real man could drive a hot pink VW and not have a problem with it... might be kinda funny now that I think about it... to everybody their own opinion...
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Truxtun

One more thing... My insurance rate between the '03 Sebring and the '05 Mustang was $4 per 6 months... that should help convince

And SpikeGT - that is like saying only chicks should drive Mustangs... or ferrari's, or any other car... It is not the car, it is the man driving it. a real man could drive a hot pink VW and not have a problem with it... might be kinda funny now that I think about it... to everybody their own opinion...
I get what your saying. For some reason I've just always thought that the Sebring should be a chicks car. Maybe cause I know at least 4 ladies that drive them. I don't know just my honest opinion on it.

Quick Reply: Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert