Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:17 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert

I actually just switched from a 97 Sebring vert to the 05 Mustang vert. I've only had my Mustang for 2 weeks, so I can't offer a direct head to head. I can offer a couple of things though...

1. I live in NJ and the weather was really bad last week. Ice storms, snow, rain - you name it, I was in it. The Mustang did better than I thought it would. I always hear how bad they are in the snow and I never drove rear-wheel before, but I was fine. I saw some trucks sliding more than I was. The Sebring was great in the snow because it is very bottom heavy.

2. MOST IMPORTANT argument for you against the Sebring - repairs suck. I had the 97, so I don't know how the new ones are, but they're probably close. Everything was really packed really tight under the hood. Thats not good because if anything needs to be fixed, it's gonna cost a lot for labor because everything needs to be lifted out to do anything.

3. Passenger space - yeah, the Sebring has more room. The Mustang has some room too. When my wife and I took the Mustang on our test drive, the salesman sat in the back. He was a pretty big guy (over 6'), but he seemed to fit fine back there. The leg room may not be the greatest, but you can still manage.

I was kind of forced to get the Sebring in 01...I needed my dad to sign for the car with me, and that's pretty much what he wanted me to get in terms of newer convertibles. Sad, I know, but it wasn't a bad car. I was happy with it. It was quick enough and had a good ride, but it just cost too much to get it fixed. (plus I always wanted a Mustang ) Just make sure you point out the repair costs...hope that helped!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me convince my dad to get a Stang vert over a Sebring vert

Maybe I'm just lucky the chicks around here drive Trans Am's lol
Old 01-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Leave your old man alone...!

BUY YOUR OWN MUSTANG!!!

stop being a pansy, dont be one of those kids who drives thier parents car and tries to be cool. get a job while you're in school, i gaurantee you you'll make enough for a Stang V6 because you pay no rent or any expenses. Really work at it, because once you own your mustang you'll be the coolest kid in school
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
karmann6898

Juntech, I COMPLETELY agree with you. I am right out of highschool and am attending a major university. On a trip home not long ago, i drove by my old high school and found about half of the kids from sophomore level and up had new cars sitting in the parking lot. Cars which 'mommy and daddy' gave them for their birthday or christmas or etc. Personally, I will respect the kid who worked his back-side off for a mid-90's stang over someone who was gifted an 06. My summer plans include putting in 10 hour days 7 days a week at a feed-lot just to support my 06 gt. My days might suck, but the nights are all the more gratifying.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 AM
PonyPower

ORIGINAL: Juntech

Leave your old man alone...!

BUY YOUR OWN MUSTANG!!!

stop being a pansy, dont be one of those kids who drives thier parents car and tries to be cool. get a job while you're in school, i gaurantee you you'll make enough for a Stang V6 because you pay no rent or any expenses. Really work at it, because once you own your mustang you'll be the coolest kid in school

Ahem...

ORIGINAL: PonyPower

My dads first car was a 66 stang fastback I believe. He didnt seem to show must interest last year when I got my 01 stang but now that the new body style is here he thinks its real "cool" that it went retro. But we do live in Massachusetts so the snow factor is always there in the winter...

I bought and pay for my own mustang, I have to pay 400+ a month on a part time job while still doing the college thing, thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 08:28 AM
AirborneCZ
2nd Gear Member

T'S A CHRYSLER. Sure it might look good but chryslers are notorious junk after a few years. I've bad experiences with Chrylser's. I never owned one but friends owned plenty of them. All I can say is junk.
Not true at all.

I am still driving Sebring conv 01, had tiny 2 l 99 model previously (both MT) and I dont have enough good words for it....
reliable, no major repairs and hit 90 K miles recently....
of course you have to maintain your engine, regulary change oil, filters and that stuff but

also it is very much true that in terms of space, there is no larger convertible on market. In trunk, you easily get 2 golf bags plus several pieces of luggage and you can fit 4 adults in it for 300 miles trips without need for surgery op for them after

comparing to 05 Stang convertible, in terms of cargo and "human" space, Stang is no competitor for sebring. In every other aspect, it is a winner

I dont know about Sebring 05 or 06 models reliability which grill look I hate. Thats one of the reasons why Im switching to power car and coupe.

- bought 05 GT Stang recently and I cant wait to drive it when it arrives from US
Old 01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i just remembered the factor that convinced my dad to buy me this car...safety ratings!! they have great crash tests