Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rattles are history...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Default My rattles are history...

I got my two rattles fixed.

The first was coming from the door handle bezels. I was able to show the service shop foreman, Kenny, where they were. According to the ticket I got when my car was returned to me yesterday, they removed the bezels and put "anti-rattle" pads on the back of them.

I noticed a couple of other people saying that they had the same problem... I'm not sure if "anti-rattle" pads is a technical name for the part they applied or not, but it worked perfectly. They are no longer rattling.

As far as the second rattle... I took my car in Friday morning and took Kenny for a ride so that he could hear the rattle that I was hearing. It was intermittent, so I'm thankful that I was able to get it to do it while we were driving. It happens between about 2k-3k rpms and sounds like it's coming from the transmission.

Anyways, I dropped myself off at work and let Kenny take my car back to the shop with him. By late Friday afternoon they still hadn't found anything, but wanted to keep it over the weekend, which was perfectly fine with me.

I called to check on it on Saturday (they have 7-1 hours on Saturday) and he told me that they had found something and he would test drive it Monday morning and if all is well I can pick it up.

I got the call Monday afternoon saying that it was ready and I picked it up. To my delight, both rattles are gone at this point. The second was apparently a loose exhaust heat shield or something.

Just fyi for anyone else who might run into a similar situation.

I was very pleased with the service at Magic City Ford here in Roanoke, VA. Billy Jo and Kenny were both a pleasure to work with.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 AM
diondon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: My rattles are history...

what exactly is the door handle bezel?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

The framework around the handle on the inside of the door. Maybe I wasn't clear that I was talking about the inside handle.

The frame around it is a piece, and then there is also a rectangular piece that makes up the "back wall" of the little enclosure where the door handle is. That "back wall" piece was rattling around. I was able to slide it around with my finger which allowed me to show them what it was doing.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

how many miles did they rack up on the weekend LOL?

J/K glad you got your rattles fixed. I have one which occurs at exactly 3,200 RPM and only while the car is cold. It's definitely exhaust but I haven't been bothered to take it in yet.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

how many miles did they rack up on the weekend LOL?
39. But I am not concerned about them abusing the car. I don't believe that they would. I believe that the 39 miles that were put on the car were necessary for them to determine the cause and verify the resolution of the intermittent rattles.

If there were 39 miles put on my car for an oil change, or even a fuel tank tsb or something, that would have been different. But I have no problems whatsoever with the miles that were put on the car while they had it.

They did a great job.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I have a couple rattles, too. Nothing that annoys me, one of which I've identified. The inner trim inside my trunk is missing one of the plastic screws. It's been like that since I've bought the car.. so the trim constantly flaps around. The second rattle is probably the same as you, jfrayzier. There's a rattle somewhere in my passenger door, sound like it's closer to the glove box, in the vicinity of the handle. Niether bug me, but I'd like to get a replacement screw for the trunk trim... the Ford dealership I went to wouldn't replace it for me, they insisted that I order 4 of them ($4.85). Pfffft..

I'll take a picture of the screw and where it's located. Maybe one of you guys can help me out, maybe identify the part number.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Both of my doors had the same problem... I noticed it on the passenger side before the driver side. It wasn't until I started hearing it on the driver's side that I was able to pinpoint the problem.