Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of the Radio to connect iPod

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 AM
TJs06GTStang

Default Removal of the Radio to connect iPod

Hey everyone,
I am in the process of purchasing the new PIE FRD04-AUX to connect it with my iPod. I am going to do all this work myself so that I know it is done right, but I would like to get some kind of guide of how to remove the radio before I do all of that. Is there anything on the Internet or anywhere else that has a detailed guide of how to remove the radio? If someone has done this before and has any tips, that would also be great. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you,
TJ

2006 Mustang GT,
Black with Black Leather
Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
BigFloppy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Removal of the Radio to connect iPod

Automatic or Stick shift..?

If automatic, pretty easy.. never done it on a stick

HANDBRAKE ON
Lift lid on arm-rest and Remove 2 screws (outside rear)
(Automatic - Move gear selector to 2nd Gear, UNSCREW the shifter handle using medium Philips head. Lift gear selector and turn 90 degrees)
LIFT center console up and out of the way
(BRUTE FORCE TIME NOW)
Knee rests - Pull them towards the rear of the car keeping them vertical... basically, grab them from the end nearest the engine and pull.

UNSCREW radio surround
remove upper connectors (that's easy)
NOW, the lower connectors have "strain reliefs and locks"... There'll be "Levers" on the bottom connectors (Move them to the oposite position, I can't remember which way they go) then remove the bottom connectors.
REMOVE THE FRONT CONSOLE

You now have full access to the radio mounting bolts, remove them and the radio will basically fall out

Installation is reverse of removal
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

same for 5 speed cars except unscrew shift **** (which will stay attached to the shift boot) and to disconnect the vent selector plug on the back of the AC panel.....youll see a gray lever on the connector, there is a small black tab that keeps that lever from moving upwards, push the black tab in and then you be able to move the gray lever upwards. The black tab in question sits in the middle of the gray lever when it is in its down postion....i.e. the gray lever horsehoes around the outside of the blacktab. This took me a while to figure out because its hard to see and the AC wiring doesnt have much slack but you do want to remove the ac panel to help facilitate the radio removal and plus it just gets in the way.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
TJs06GTStang

Hey Big,
Thanks for the info and I have some quick questions for you, being a novice as I am.
First: when unscrewing the shifter, will there be any internal parts that I will need to be cautious of (i.e. The silver engage button on the side of the shifter has to have springs and locks and such in it, will that be ok?) I am just worried that when it is put back in place that engage button won’t fall back in place.
Second: will the power point in the center console have enough cable slack on it to make that move without a problem?
Thanks for all of your help,
TJ

PS… what did you use to find out all of this information and is there anything out there that can give me detailed pictures or anything.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

yes there is enough slack in the powerpoint, TCS/hazard buttons to easily removal the connectors from them....
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

just about every service doc you will need i posted here. they are in pdf so you can download and print them good luck
Tom

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=1087
Old 01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
BigFloppy
2nd Gear Member

Nice 1 afixer... I just bookmarked that one!

btw, reason I seem to know how to take the radio out is cause I've done it quite a few times (and even more times, I've watched the service tech at the dealership take my radio out for me)

I'm just waiting for the right radio to come along at the right price for the last time I Need to take this beech out