Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:56 PM
2horsegarage

Default Carbon Fiber Hoods?

Dumb or not? I guess since I need to ask, they are probably a little dumb. I am considering the GTR hood, but do not really want to worry about painting it. I have seen a couple of decent looking carbon hoods, black of course, and would not need painted. Thoughts? Is carbon ok, or should I pony up the dough and get the GTR?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Hoods?

reduces weight... sounds--- Ricey to me
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

Carbon fiber will bring your hood weight down to about 10/12 lbs. The only issue i would have is quality and fit, and paint match. I think it is a great mod, as you just can't get enough weight off the front of a car, period!! Who is making them and what are they asking for them? Any feedback on qaulity? With the addition of a blower, I can use some weight reduction, not to mention the ability to add a custom touch with the right scoop!!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

Seibon makes Carbon Fiber hoods, doors, and decklids for the 05-06 stangs...if your interested in going with CF they would be the ppl to deal with.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

CF hood isn't such a huge ricey issue really. If it's the stock design, no excessive scoops or slots or anything, I think it'll look fine. two-tone schemes are popular on any car, so that'll look fine.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
2horsegarage

Thanks for the insight. The cost is not too much more than aftermarket fiberglass hoods..... But I have not heard anything about fit and finish....
Old 02-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

My question is what kind of hood can I purchase that will be scratch free. Black is the hardest and yet prettiest color.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Fit and finish will be dependent on company and materials.
Seibon makes ok stuff. Their hoods tend to be metal frames with CF overlays ontop.
Most aftermarket CF hoods come like this, most are clear coated with UV protection to care against fading in the resin.
No hood is going to be scratch free. Resin and paint can be scratched and theirs nothing really you can do.

Fit can very drastically from customer to customer. Every mustang has 6+ points to adjust position of a hood. Most customers I've seen buy CF hood, throw them on their cars at home and if it doesn't fit right off they freak out. Fact is all stock hoods are adjusted from the hinges, to the side quarter panels and so on. Customer whom buy aftermarket hoods need to pony up the money and make sure a professional body shop installs this stuff for best install. Now yes you can get hood that are drastically warped and this can occur during shipment if its pressed in a certain position for long enough.

How a hood is made depends to on many factors. Most places use hand layup which is fast and cheap. This can lead to warping. More professionally made hoods use vacuum bagging and sometimes autoclaved. But autoclaving is really expensive.

Finish can vary by companies as well. Most cheaper hoods are cheap because their only prepped or finished on the top side and the undersides are left gritty and undone right out of the molds. That’s why most companies like ABC exclusives only hows you pics of the top side of the hood.

When looking for a good hood. Ask for pics of the top and underside of the hood. Ask if their fully prepped. Ask if the whole hood is fiberglass or CF or if they use a metal or aluminum frame. Most metal or aluminum frame hoods end up just being overlays.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:08 AM
5150PONY
2nd Gear Member

CF cost too much and I have seen some of the hoods haze (milky) after long exposure from the sun even tho they said is UV protected. Is there anyway to fix that haze ? I plan to get a cf hood but worry that this would happen after I spent tons of money getting the hood.....If that happens I would be [:@]
Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 PM
carbonfiberhoods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
CF cost too much and I have seen some of the hoods haze (milky) after long exposure from the sun even tho they said is UV protected. Is there anyway to fix that haze ? I plan to get a cf hood but worry that this would happen after I spent tons of money getting the hood.....If that happens I would be [:@]
Usually the best way to avoid the hazyness on the unpainted carbon fiber would be to garage the car as much as possible, eventually all unpainted plastic / carbon fiber resin will start to haze, the best remedy for this is to lightly sand the hood and re-clear the hood. I've seen old hoods fully restored this way.