Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang

I don't care if they run the damn thing on Kool-aid if I can get the same performance out of it.

Also, my 2 cents on these alternative energy technology. I think the "hybrid" approach is dumb, even though electric motors are nice and torquey. What's the point of the hybrid if it's still going to use gasoline? Ethanol and methanol are good, they burn clean, they pack plenty of power and we can make it from corn. Plus it will f*** you up, so that's a bonus.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

I really wouldnt care as long as the performance and SOUND didnt suffer. God if the thing became electric [:'(]
Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I love how Toyota is pushing alternative fuel.. putting hybrid on everything they make... even the Volta.

The way I see it, if everyone picks up on alternative fuel, the price for gasoline will drop... that way all stangers can afford to waste gas!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

if you wanted to spend the money you could convert it to run E85 now. that would reqire replacing almost the entire fuel system and definitely some expert tuning. it's a perfect fuel for performance especially turbo and s/c since it will allow lots of timing with high boost levels and really wouldn't require a intercooler since ethanol cools the intake charge extremely well. i wish ford would have made it an option on the mustang like the taurus and explorers.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: allfyre

I don't care if they run the damn thing on Kool-aid if I can get the same performance out of it.

Also, my 2 cents on these alternative energy technology. I think the "hybrid" approach is dumb, even though electric motors are nice and torquey. What's the point of the hybrid if it's still going to use gasoline? Ethanol and methanol are good, they burn clean, they pack plenty of power and we can make it from corn. Plus it will f*** you up, so that's a bonus.
Ethanol - yes, that will get you pretty drunk.
Methanol - thats just gonna kill you. I worked at a fuel cell company that used methanol instead of hydrogen to power the fuel cells. They told us straight. 1 cc of methanol will make you blind, 2 cc's will kill you. And methanol poisoning is not fun... lol

Now, as for this topic. I'd drive a mustang that ran on ethanol or bio-diesel. Its just going to take some time to upgrade the infrastructure for distribution of these new fuels and for the cost of their production and distribution to go down.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

SPARTAN VI +1

I'm for hybrids and alternative fuel.

Hybrids = saves the gas demand and me $$$
Alternative = Different ways to get MORE POWER!!!

I don't know much about this but Hydrogen is one of the main ingredients in the rocket fuel that takes the shuttle into space. If it can do that, I'm sure you can tap a LOT of power out of it!

Also, if you think gas tank explosions are big in the movies now... wait until they start simulating Hydrogen tank explosions.

1958 to Present – The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is formed, continuing work by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) and several universities and businesses on using hydrogen as a rocket fuel and electricity source via fuel cells. NASA becomes the worldwide largest user of liquid hydrogen and is renowned for its safe handling of hydrogen.
Late 20th Century/Dawn of 21st Century – Many industries worldwide begin producing hydrogen, hydrogen-powered vehicles, hydrogen fuel cells, and other hydrogen products. From Japan’s hydrogen delivery trucks to BMW’s liquid hydrogen passenger cars, to Ballard’s fuel cell transit buses in Chicago and Vancouver, BC, to Palm Desert’s Renewable Transportation Project, to Iceland’s commitment to be the first hydrogen economy by 2030, to the forward-thinking work of many hydrogen organizations worldwide, to Hydrogen Now!’s public education work, the dynamic progress in Germany, Europe, Japan, Canada, the US, Australia, Iceland, and several other countries launch hydrogen onto the main stage of the world’s energy scene.

- http://www.hydrogennow.org/Facts/History.htm
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i would buy an alternate fuled mustang if it still held some decent level of power. by all means i am no speed freak but i still enjoy it a bit. also, unless if gas prices do rise a lot, i would not go with a hybrid, i am not too keen with plugging in my car every night along with my ipod and cell phone lol. however, if it was actually an alternate fule source, i would go for it
Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 PM
slak05gt
2nd Gear Member

I'd love to have a performance car that ran on something cheper than gas. I have heard of several alternative fuels, and apperantly there is a lot of science to figure out before hydrogen fuel cell is really an option. Maybe aquahol is in the future? I read an article where Eaton Hydraulics has teamed with UPS to test trucks with Electro-Hydraulic drive trains. I can't exsplain the science, but it could be a viable option if it can be made efficent enough.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

I'd drive one if it had performance to back it up. I like the ethanol idea myself.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:57 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

How much does ethanol go for on the market by the gallon, and does anyone think our agriculture industry can feed the American power loving, mustang driven, machine? It sounds like if this were to kick off we should all put our money in corn and wood chips.

Quick Reply: Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang