Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang

Inevitably the time will come when the Mustang will have to change along with all other Vehicles. Based off the Presidents Speech this past week, would you as a Mustang owner or fan consider purchasing a future Mustang that is powered by a motor that runs off of an alternative fuel, or is a Hybrid of some sort? Either way, post your opinion about a choice that may be soon to come.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang

Depends...can one of the alternative fuels be nitro ?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:42 AM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

Mustangs are for performance. If I can have the Mustang experience I don't care what fuel I use. Hybrid may be way down the road. I should be really old by then. Probably won't care about it.

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

I don't think nitro would be stable enough.[:-]
Old 02-02-2006, 10:45 AM
ponypower05GT
1st Gear Member

I would probably be okay with the Mustang being hybrid fueled as long as the performance didn't suffer. Since I haven't heard of any cars that are hybrid vehicles now that still perform well and have the benefits of an alternate fuel, I can't say that I would be willing to go for it with the Mustang at this point.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Down the road, The way our Pres. is talking I think it will be in the next 10-20 years. Unless your 60 right now, this affects you. Also remember the policies that are put into affect now, realy may not affect us till the next administration or the one after.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:07 AM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I would. Initially the technology would hurt performance but this has always been the case. Today’s engines produce far less pollutants and are much more efficient than those from the muscle car era. In the '70's and '80's the pollution control devices were the common approach to cleaner burning engines. There was an early '80's Trans-Am with a turbocharged 301 V8 that made less than 200 hp. Most hot rodders fought by removing smog pumps, cats, etc. This was the low point of performance cars until OEM's and after market folks started developing technology to meet new gvnt standards while providing improved performance. I think this trend in fact fueled the current muscle car renaissance. Even some of the first reviews I read about the new Mustang grimly predicted modifications would not be successful due to the restrictive computer. They were right until the tuners figured it out. Now I drive a 450HP car that meets emissions and gets 23 mpg. Let’s face it. Our dependency on foreign oil needs to be reduced and it won’t happen until new technologies are embraced. At the same time, this is a free market country. As long as there is market demand for performance vehicles, someone will find a way to improve performance.

Now let me get off this stinking soapbox before I hurt myself!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Amen brother that is a great point. Is their anyone out there with an informed point of view who knows the Hybrid systems or about alternate fuels that has an opinion on hot rodding these systems. Maybe they can shed some light on the future. Someone call Brent and have him write his opinion on what the President said and what we should expect from a future hybrid type Mustang.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

i thougt my v6 refire was a hybrid IT WILL BURN BOTH GAS AND TIRES
brianj(tncruiser)
Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

I never thought about that way, but I really never thought much of a V6 stang burning tires. Sort of like settling for a fat chick.

Quick Reply: Hybrid or alternative fueled Mustang