Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need a lift for shifter install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
giovani13
1st Gear Member

Default Do I really need a lift for shifter install?

Do I have to use a lift to install a shifter, or will I have enough clearance with a couple jack stands?

I'm trying to decide between the Pro 5.0 Mustand shifter, and the Steeda Tri-ax. Both of which require dropping the drive shaft from what I've heard.

Mikey
Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do I really need a lift for shifter install?

I installed the Pro 5.0 on a lift. I did not remove the driveshaft. I snuck the factory through the top. You could do it without a lift, but it is a WHOLE lot easier to walk under the car than it is to crawl, bang your head, cuss, throw wrenches.... LOL.....[sm=headbang.gif]
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Get the Pro 5.0
Old 02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: giovani13

Do I have to use a lift to install a shifter, or will I have enough clearance with a couple jack stands?

I'm trying to decide between the Pro 5.0 Mustand shifter, and the Steeda Tri-ax. Both of which require dropping the drive shaft from what I've heard.

Mikey
You'll have clearance but it will be TIGHT. Remember that the shifter is coming out through the cabin side of the hole in the console, not from underneath. All you need room for is loosening and tightening nuts and bolts. Your real problems are geting the old shifter out from above, putting in the new one and getting the stupid rubber shifter boot back on. The latter was a real PITA.

John
Old 02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: giovani13

I'm trying to decide between the Pro 5.0 Mustand shifter, and the Steeda Tri-ax.
You better decide quick. Steeda has a lawsuit in the works to stop production on the Pro 5.0 for duplicating their shifter. Lay the two down side by side and look at them. They are the exact same thing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13513/D0F2CCE6DE8E4570A56A09A34F2AF97F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13513/1B7725EE3A3D4D4CBA7B3183C109DE27.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
MUSTANGEXPERT
2nd Gear Member

i have installed the steeda tri-ax shifter with two jack stands in my driveway and i didnt need to remove the driveshaft
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

i did mine with a jack and two wheel stands. Didnt remove the driveshaft. Took one light bang to coax the shifter in but i did it hitting my head and cursing and throwing one wrench
Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Did mine on ramps. Took about an hour or so.......really was not that difficult. Just make sure you have a big piece of cardboard to slide yourself around on under the car. OH....I did not remove the driveshaft either.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

I installed the Roush shifter twice on jackstands no need to remove the driveshaft....takes about an hour....not bad at all...And whoever said it comes out through the cabin I want to know what shifter you bought, because everyone I have heard of comes out from under the car!!!!

BTW, I installed it twice, because there was a slight flaw in the original Roush design that they have since fixed....
Old 04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I took the stock shifter out through the cabin and put the hurst in through the cabin. You just need to be 10% smarter than the shifter, that's all.

Snaking the biotch around the driveshaft seemed like a real PITA!

ORIGINAL: ponyman

I installed the Roush shifter twice on jackstands no need to remove the driveshaft....takes about an hour....not bad at all...And whoever said it comes out through the cabin I want to know what shifter you bought, because everyone I have heard of comes out from under the car!!!!

BTW, I installed it twice, because there was a slight flaw in the original Roush design that they have since fixed....

Quick Reply: Do I really need a lift for shifter install?