Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint under warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: paint under warrenty?

unfortunately it's not JUST with american cars...
the cheaper the car the cheaper the paint job...generally speaking...
i'm a property damage appraiser and claims adjuster with an insurance company so I have a ton of experience in refinishing problems on all types of cars...

now-a-days, even the most expensive BMW's and mercedes have the orange peel problem...it's just a fact of painting, the only way to get rid of it is to colorsand and polish the entire surface after the paint job is complete...i think only Bentley and Ferrari do this from the factory...i've never seen a factory production paint job that had absolutely NO orange peel.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: paint under warranty?

Ghost: do you know if they will be baking your car after clearcoat. Also do you know the mfg, type of clear coat? (maybe you could ask in conversation sometime) I find that my re-cleared over black is soft (easy to scratch) it's 6 weeks old (only 50-55 degrees in my garage); I have a call in to the guy that did the work; unfortunately he relocated to SC a couple weeks after the job was done. The finish is terrific but I can't even wax it ,as removal of the wax even with two different mfg microfiber cloths I used scratched the test area I was doing. (He had said no waxing for at least 4 weeks; I attempted at 6) Any info you get from the shop doing your re-clear job would be really appreciated. thanks!!! ...Jim
Old 03-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: paint under warrenty?

Always remember one thing here guys.... Corporations do not have a legal liability to their consumers, they DO however have a legal liability to their STOCK HOLDERS, ergo, the cheaper the paint job, the more profit to the stock holders.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Ghost: do you know if they will be baking your car after clearcoat. Also do you know the mfg, type of clear coat? (maybe you could ask in conversation sometime) I find that my re-cleared over black is soft (easy to scratch) it's 6 weeks old (only 50-55 degrees in my garage); I have a call in to the guy that did the work; unfortunately he relocated to SC a couple weeks after the job was done. The finish is terrific but I can't even wax it ,as removal of the wax even with two different mfg microfiber cloths I used scratched the test area I was doing. (He had said no waxing for at least 4 weeks; I attempted at 6) Any info you get from the shop doing your re-clear job would be really appreciated. thanks!!! ...Jim
He is useing Glassurit clear coat. He actually baked the car prior to working on it because of the paint did not want to scuff well. And he is baking it after the glassurit goes on. He is in the proccess of wet sanding the stripe edges now and has final buffed the roof. I have another post going up in a miute with photos.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Hey thanks so much for the reply. It sounds like he will bake as a last step; i.e. after final buffing (true?) When the time comes if you think of it, if you would ask how long the bake and what temp (I would really appreciate it) Also how long he says to wait after you pick up the car to apply the first wax. Sure do appreciate the help and info Ghost; I think I'm gonna have to end up getting mine baked and I don't know yet if doing that after say 6-8 weeks is a factor/concern. ty, Jim