Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustangs made NHRA Summit series change the rules!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:54 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default Mustangs made NHRA Summit series change the rules!

Adam at ST motorsports and I have our 05 GT's in the NHRA summit series in Fontanna. We already ran the first heat and we did pretty well. We were in the pro class and did pretty well. I get this letter yesterday from NHRA saying that they are changing the minumum 1/8 mile time to be under 7 sec. and 1/4 under 10 sec. I guess a lot of the guys complained cause we had the only new cars in the pro class and the only non-trailered cars. We are going to meet the requirement for next heat but I thought it was funny these hot rods are all worried about our mustangs - especially since it's bracket racing.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustangs made NHRA Summit series change the rules!

That is definitly something to be proud of right there... slap adam a high five from us!!!

is that new block in yet??
Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: andyman

That is definitly something to be proud of right there... slap adam a high five from us!!!

is that new block in yet??
It's maddening Andy! Every piece is here and ready to go EXCEPT the stinking rods. You wouldn't think rods would be so darn difficult but it's all I'm waiting on. Supposedly should be machined in the next couple weeks and a two-day swap and BANG - HELLO NITROUS!!! LOL

Believe me I'm more anxious than anyone and I bug Adam almost every day. I will post all over the place when it's in. BTW - the pistons are SICK! Thought they were going to be cobras, but they are MUCH better.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Are you gonna up the boost once it's put in?

It's the MMR block right? the 5L stroker? what all did it come with?

are you gonna get slicks?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:28 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

chevy,
do you think the drive by wire had anything to do with their decision? if you read the nhra rule book this car clearly violates about every rule concerning throttle controls and down track timing devices. thats one reason i bought it. fly in under the radar. i've already figured out how to hook a delay box in line to the t/b the car will launch just like normal only, when you want it to. just floor it when your first light comes on then it will delay until the preset time you wish to launch. i just need a track to open so i can hook it up and test it. i love technology!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

chevy,
do you think the drive by wire had anything to do with their decision? if you read the nhra rule book this car clearly violates about every rule concerning throttle controls and down track timing devices. thats one reason i bought it. fly in under the radar. i've already figured out how to hook a delay box in line to the t/b the car will launch just like normal only, when you want it to. just floor it when your first light comes on then it will delay until the preset time you wish to launch. i just need a track to open so i can hook it up and test it. i love technology!
I don't think it has anything to do with the electronics (though your right, they should ban the cars for that or up them to the electronics-allowed class) No, it was because we beat a couple of the more serious guys and they complained. Most all of the cars running were 10 sec and below and I kinda of got the feeling that most of them were annoyed they were racing against us. It's okay though, by the time we go back in April or May (when the new track opens) we will be giving a lot of them a head start at the lights! LOL let's see what they say then.

Let me know as soon as you test your delay box. I was using a similiar approach and programmed a two-step in the car. It worked GREAT on the launches but hesitated and bogged at shifts at WOT afterward. I've talked to SCT & Predator, JPC, and a couple others and no one knows for sure why. We think it has something to do with the clutch over-ride and the torque nanny but when we bypassed the clutch over-ride, it still did it. Though not as bad but still hestitated none-the-less. Now we are thinking it is because I'm shifting close to the rev limiter and it's causing a fraction of a second shut down before grabbing. Even though I'm going to shift at the same spot, we're going to try bumping up my rev limiter to make sure I'm no where near it when I shift. Testing it this Friday so I'll let you know. With your auto, I'm thinking it will work easier for you so let me know. If you don't have the hestitation, then I'll know it's definitely the clutch over-ride electronics I have to work on.

My next big investment (probably Christmas) is going to be an auto trans set-up. There's an awesome system that I have my eye on that has it's own computer but it's $4700 and that's just plain WRONG..... (but heck - they warranty and garuntee it up to 1500 HP)
Old 02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: andyman

Are you gonna up the boost once it's put in?

It's the MMR block right? the 5L stroker? what all did it come with?

are you gonna get slicks?
For now I'm going to keep my 14 lbs. of boost until I can get the KB. I'm going to run a 20 psi KB kit. But I'll finally be able to use my 150 NOS shot and that should be interesting. I know I'm going to be a junky, so I'm installing a 2nd bottle so I don't have to fill so much.

I was going with the MMR block but Adam talked me into going custom. It is a regular aluminum 4.6 3V new block with a 302 stroker kit. Custom Rods, Pistons, crank, cams, heads, valvesprings, and all the rings, gaskets, and assembly junk with a girdle. The MMR kit is basically all cobra components and although it is great, I'm getting a little stronger and better. When we looked at the pistons, they definitely were bigger and had more spacing than the cobras. This is all great, but the custom fab is what is taking so long and I'm getting a little tired of waiting fo the rods. Adam has already stopped answering the phone cause I call so much...LOL

I'll be in the Fabulous Fords show at Knotts Berry Farm the first week of April so I have a goal to have the car finished by then. Should make it.

Yes, I'm shaving the rear calipers and going with a 29" tall slick. The MT's work great for me cause I don't have that much torque. Once my torque goes over 500, I'm definitely going to need slicks to hook.