MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Why hold back so much power? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/96531-why-hold-back-so-much-power.html)

ghost63 02-15-2006 08:59 PM

Why hold back so much power?

Was just looking at some reports from the Chicago show, particularly watching the 2007 Toyota Tundra info and it just kills me. $30k for a car, such as the Mustang. We get a 280+/- HP engine. I know what the brochure says, but HP that I never see (i.e. not at the wheels) doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. Buy a Toyota pickup, and get a 5.7L low-emissions V8 throwing over 330HP and 375ft-lb of torque. Now, I don't expect Ford to build something along the lines of the last generation RX-7, it's not their style. But big V8's should be, no?

Dunno, was just thinking. This is the only thing holding me back from buying a new GT. I was inlove with the styling as soon as it was introduced. Ford finally got the Mustang right again! Not trying to start a fight by any means, but doesn't Ford realize this makes people really consider all the options instead of rushing out to buy one? There will always be the faithful core of buyers - but it's largely made up of people who would buy it if it only came in V6. (Nothing wrong with that, I'd still be somewhat tempted!)

Not planning on setting fire to For HQ or anything, just thinking out loud I suppose.:D

karazuba 02-15-2006 09:02 PM

RE: Why hold back so much power?

The Toyota 5.7L 330 HP engine is spec'd just like the Ford 4.6L 300 HP engine--at the crank. Parasitic loss will be more on the Toyota, given the longer wheelbase and heavier weight. In the end, the Mustang will still out 0-60 the Toyota, although it won't carry nearly as much.

ghost63 02-15-2006 09:28 PM

Oh sure, the truck will bleed more (forgive the lack of in-depth research, wasn't really trying to make a hard numbers point) I would assume (as well as haul a bit more, as you said;)) It's just that I know there are folks at Ford smart enough to make a car that couldn't be passed up by anyone looking at the market - and one that would probably widen the market exponentially. Why not a 5.4L? Why not a really solid suspension package. If retail on Steeda springs and Bilstein shocks and struts is well under $1000, what could Ford get them for through their channels (I'd say at probably a good discount for thousands of sets - helluva group buy!) and have a car sitting on the lot that is a true all-around performer? For instance - the Mazdaspeed 6 sport sedan. A reliable car with a turbocharged 4 cylinder that rates WAY TOO close to the Mustang GT in terms of power, has all of that suspension tuning, and AWD, and looks pretty darn sharp too. For <$30k. Same market? Not exclusively. But you make a Mustang with bigger power and good suspension and you can bet you'll get some crossover.

Or I'm full of sh!t.:D

austijc 02-15-2006 09:32 PM

I guess it depends if you want a fast, light car or a heavy truck that can pull a lot of weight. The power/weight ratio is what makes it fast which is why a relatively small motorcycle motor can blow all the cars on the road.

LesteR723 02-15-2006 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: karazuba

The Toyota 5.7L 330 HP engine is spec'd just like the Ford 4.6L 300 HP engine--at the crank. Parasitic loss will be more on the Toyota, given the longer wheelbase and heavier weight. In the end, the Mustang will still out 0-60 the Toyota, although it won't carry nearly as much.

+1

Sonic3v 02-15-2006 09:34 PM

Are we really compairing the GT to a truck? [&:]

ghost63 02-15-2006 09:46 PM

I have no idea.[&:] To reiterate the point to start with - forget Toyota or Tundra or truck. Think 5.7L V8 with more HP and closely matched torque.

In unrelated events - that manifold cover in your sig is sweeeeeet

mauiboy 02-15-2006 10:09 PM

This is kind of a silly topic ghost63, My sister has a '04 Armada with 305hp but you can't compare the two, i'll smoke her any day of the week. If your concerned about your investment think of this, Ford put out a 300hp bomb shell for $25K that no one was able to touch! Now the players have come to the table with the GTO, Charger and new Camaro to come shortly with optional 400+hp. This was bound to happen along with your Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas to follow no matter what size engine you put in, 5.7 or not...
So here's what you do, buy a supercharger, get your 450 to 500hp to the wheels and pull up to any of the above cars with a smile on your face.:D
That's what I did and the only guys that are really fun to mess with are your Z06 and Viper owners and even when you lose you do it with a smile knowing your not into a $65 thousand or $84 thousand dollar note.:D

Mauiboy

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/CFDEDBF424FC4F1BABE3919AD9DC0075.jpg[/IMG]

ghost63 02-15-2006 10:18 PM

Oh boy. If I'd have said F-150 would that have been better.:D Fellas - I wasn't making any comparison in vehicles whatsoever. The topic was just kind of wondering why manufacturers (Ford included) can produce engines like they do - yet won't put them into their top of the line (as far as mortals are concerned - no Ford GT allowed here) sports car? Hey, I'm a Ford guy - always have been. I love the Mustang - I think Ford was thiiiiiiis close to getting it perfect. (Though everyone keeps throwing $25k around as a price, which I have yet to see. Maybe there's an interior delete option?[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif])

I guess the real topic is - why not a bigger motor for the money? As far as a point, don't really have one. Just bored and was thinking aloud.:D

StevesGT 02-15-2006 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ghost63

Oh sure, the truck will bleed more (forgive the lack of in-depth research, wasn't really trying to make a hard numbers point) I would assume (as well as haul a bit more, as you said;)) It's just that I know there are folks at Ford smart enough to make a car that couldn't be passed up by anyone looking at the market - and one that would probably widen the market exponentially. Why not a 5.4L? Why not a really solid suspension package. If retail on Steeda springs and Bilstein shocks and struts is well under $1000, what could Ford get them for through their channels (I'd say at probably a good discount for thousands of sets - helluva group buy!) and have a car sitting on the lot that is a true all-around performer? For instance - the Mazdaspeed 6 sport sedan. A reliable car with a turbocharged 4 cylinder that rates WAY TOO close to the Mustang GT in terms of power, has all of that suspension tuning, and AWD, and looks pretty darn sharp too. For <$30k. Same market? Not exclusively. But you make a Mustang with bigger power and good suspension and you can bet you'll get some crossover.

Or I'm full of sh!t.:D
Not so sure your comparing of the MS6 was a good choice. They seem to be having an epidemic of problematic power loss: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=46807
I came from an 05 Subaru WRX STi. 300hp-300tq. Got tired of it. I live in South Florida, so AWD is not that big of a deal to me. Sure it was a rocket off the line, but I only worked the balls up about 4 times to launch it at the required 5000 rpm clutch drop. I always thought I would break something doing that. Could Ford put more power to the Mustang? Sure, just look at what hand held tuners are able to do, let alone the resources of all of Ford. Maybe they dont want to show there full potential yet. Maybr when the Challenger or the Camaro hits the floor they will up it to350 or 400 hp. Really, wheres the driving competition? No more Trans-Am, no Z-28. We got the Charger, but really, its a 4 door family car with a great engine, saddled with a high curb weight and an auto only tranny.
Its hard to compare apples to apples when Ford owns the whole orchard.