Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Roush and Saleen ripping everyone off?

Old 02-16-2006, 02:49 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default Why is Roush and Saleen ripping everyone off?

When I bought my car in Dec. 04, I purchased the sport package with the interior package directly from Roush and picked it up at a local dealer 3 months later. I paid $32,000 for the car. I went to Fritts Ford the other day and they had a whopping 11 roushes and 6 saleens on the lot. The roushes were going for $42,000 - $48,000 and the Saleens were going for $56,000 - $59,000. WTF! It made me sick to see the markups. The window stickers were directly from Roush and Saleen so it wasn't the dealer - it was them.

When I picked up my car, granted I paid exactly invoice on the car cause I bought it from Roush but Roush doesn't even offer this direct buy option anymore and greed can only be the answer. I would be pissed if I was shopping for one now.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:19 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why is Roush and Saleen ripping everyone off?

Probably trying to cash in on the demand, if enough people are buying them then they'd have no reason to lower the prices. I really like the Roush interior package and the Saleen bodykit (except for the rear bumper) but I'll wait until after taxes (might have to pay some). As far as the cars at the dealer, they're probably hoping to find someone that wants a superchased Mustang but doesn't want to get it done by themselves (order it, have it installed, etc. etc. etc.). I wouldn't pay that much for one of those cars, but there's always someone out there willing to spend the money!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Why are they doing that..

BECAUSE THEY CAN!

It is the American Way - -- we call it Capitalism.

Price is driven by supply and demand - - when there is less supply then there is demand... the product commands a high price. when there is less demand then there is supply... the price goes down.

Those of us who purchased 05 Mustangs and wanted them back in mid 05, you nearly HAD to order it, and everyone paid sticker or MORE to get the car. Now.. the dealerships have PLENTY of 05 and 06 Mustangs on the lots are are starting to discount them.

The same will happen to the Saleen and Roush units.... as long as we "Gotta have one" the price will stay high.

A guy paid $660,000 JUST for the right to purchase the FIRST Shelby off the line... and eveyrone ordering them are offering more then sticker. It won't be until mid 07 that the car can be purchased for at least the sticker price.

Such is Life!

If you don't want to pay the price - - don't buy the car!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:41 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

yeah - the point was the 42 K was for the stage 1 package that is the same thing I got for 32K last year (- rims & tires)

EDIT - I certainly know about supply & demand but I think a 10K increase between 05 - 06 is a little steep considering the price of the actual car hasn't risin no where near that high. So in essence they are charging 10K more for the same body kits as 05 without any increase in production costs.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:34 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

If you don't want to pay the price - - don't buy the car!
Exactly.

Plus, a Roush and a Saleen mustang aren't just any old car that you'll see driving around town. There tends to be a certain number produced and they're pretty rare. They're also usually more powerful than your standard v6 and GT, depending on the stage, etc... but of course you're going to pay more for that.

Why do you think they mark them up? Because they can, and they know people will pay it.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

You guys are making great points. But the question isn't why they are marking them up - the question is why did they raise the price 10K from last year when the supply and demand factors are less, i.e. more 2006 models than 2005. The main point I was trying to make is you are much better off if you want a roush or saleen to buy the body kits from them and have them installed yourself. Granted you won't have an acutal signed addition 'roush' or saleen' but I suppose that's what the mark-up is for. They certainly have increased the number of roush and saleen cars manufactured this year from last so I think it's pretty greedy to bump it 10K. Maybe 3-5K but 10K is steep IMO.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:08 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

Good discussion but I don't think you can say anyone's getting "ripped off". Price gouging, yes. Why do they do it? Well what happens when they market a car that bombs on the market? Who makes it up to them? All manufacturers have the same dilema. They make money on some and lose on others. Sometimes they lose big time so when they can they make it back big time. If the market will bear it out then it will. What are you folks working for right now? If suddenly you could make 50% more would you? Are your services worth it? Bottom line...market economy. Just my .02.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:46 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: pcdrj

Good discussion but I don't think you can say anyone's getting "ripped off". Price gouging, yes. Why do they do it? Well what happens when they market a car that bombs on the market? Who makes it up to them? All manufacturers have the same dilema. They make money on some and lose on others. Sometimes they lose big time so when they can they make it back big time. If the market will bear it out then it will. What are you folks working for right now? If suddenly you could make 50% more would you? Are your services worth it? Bottom line...market economy. Just my .02.
No argument and very well put. I retract the 'ripping off' statement. Like I said, I just thought 10K for the same body kits from last year was a little steep. Would have been more understandable if they had made some changes/improvements. But after reading everyone's responses, I'm inclined to think the price was lower last year cause they were still waiting to see just how popular and marketable the car was going to be. Once they figured it out it was a hit, they priced accordingly. Thanks for all the comments. I'm always learning something on this site and enjoy 99% of it.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:52 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well, look at it this way chev, in a couple of years when Roush is charging 50K for a stage 1....think of the impressions ppl will have of you when they see you driving around in yours (ignorant of the fact that you only paid 31 or 32 for it..hehe)[8D] Here's to getting into the market early....here here[sm=icon_cheers.gif]