Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 GT questions (General)

Old 02-18-2006, 09:45 AM
FMullegun

Default 2006 GT questions (General)

Are they mostly selling at retail now or can deals be had?

How reliable is this tranny (AUTO)? I this a son of the AODE or something totally new similar to the Ford Explorer 5 speeds.

Why do most dealerships on carry Premiums[:'(]? I hate leather. YMMV ofcourse (not putting down leather, its just not my thing, especially in TX)

I cannot get this search function to work for me so if someone can just give me the rundown please?[&:] Sorry.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 AM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 GT questions (General)

There are no deals to be had on GT's (at least not in CO); Dealerships here are actually charging more then MSRP because of great demand for these vehicles.

Can't address the auto question, as I'm a 5-speed guy.

Suprisingly I found more deluxe GT's then premium GT's when I was looking for mine. Of course I wanted the premium..so I'll chalk this one up to Murphy's law.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

The Auto works like a dream most of the time. When going up in speed the shifts are quick and under normal acceleration the shifts are almost unnoticeable. The only problems I've had and heard reported are when your at speed and want it to downshift. Like when your trying to change lanes on the freeway cause your behind a slowpoke. You need to get over to the left but when you punch it nothing happens for a second or 2!
I've been trying to get around this, especially when getting on the freeway, by turning off the overdrive. Haven't had any problems for a while.
The manual talks about the automatic "learning" shift points.
If you can handle the 5-speed stick and have a strong left knee go with that! You'll save quite a bit of $$$
Old 02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FMullegun

Are they mostly selling at retail now or can deals be had?

How reliable is this tranny (AUTO)? I this a son of the AODE or something totally new similar to the Ford Explorer 5 speeds.

Why do most dealerships on carry Premiums[:'(]? I hate leather. YMMV ofcourse (not putting down leather, its just not my thing, especially in TX)

I cannot get this search function to work for me so if someone can just give me the rundown please?[&:] Sorry.
They can be had for sticker in my area, but no deals, they sell pretty fast. The auto is a derivitive of the Explorer 5spd auto and has a pretty good track record there, not sure about the one used in the Mustang, need more time in the market to develope a reputation. You can get the Premium without leather if you order it that way, my wife got her new '06 Pony loaded without leather but now wishes she had gotten the leather because it's much softer than previous leather used in Mustangs.

I test drove the auto, top end feels weaker than it does in the stick, maybe just an impression, not sure, need to race one to find out.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I have not seen any deals in the DFW area. Heard Austin area is still list price as well.
Frankly I don't like leather either ( TX heat is brutal) but I've been mildly surprised so far with it.
I've seen more manual trans than autos in the past..not sure what the breakdown is anymore to be honest. I love the 5-speed and really did not even consider the auto.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I just got my orders for my job transfer, so I have a one month old, five speed Deluxe for sale if interested....less than sticker....2200 miles
Old 02-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Nut Case

2006 Mustangs GTs can be gotten below sticker in Austin (and other places I am sure). You just have to be tough, tactful, and be willing to go to several dealerships. I got a 06 Mustang GT on the X-pan with every option except Auto and shaker 1000 for ~26800 dollars verses the sticker of 29030. This was at Leif Johnson Ford. I had to order it and wait about 2 1/2 months, but it was well worth the ~2200 dollar savings. Patience and diligence is all it takes. Plus, make it clear you don't need the car and will only buy it if you get a good deal. If they won't deal politely excuse yourself and let them know you are head over to the other dealer across town.

Also, go in informed. Have a print out of the invoice pricing include the various options. (try: edmund.com or kbb.com). Also, don't get caught in the classic "I got to go talk manger" tactic as you are slowing worn down waiting. Go in to the dealership on off hours when the floor managers aren't busy. When the sales person pulls the , "I have to talk to my manager" tactic, tell him you going with him/her or better tell him/her you won't buy anything till you get to meet the manager.

Also, get at at least an X-plan pin. If your place of work does any business with Ford you can most likely get one through your employer. If not go to blueovalnewsforum.com and post in I think the Ford employee forum and ask for an X-plan sponsor. Last time I heard Ford employees could sponsor a customer and provide them an X-plan pin. The Ford employee can't silicate anyone, but if ask can give out an X-plan pin if they so desire.

And never never tolerate the "market adjustment" crap. When the sales person suggest this, simply tell them you don't need any car enough to pay over MSRP. Then thank them nicely for their time and start walking off. More often than not you'll have a sales person chasing after you and singing a different tune.

The only "Caveats" to the buying tactic is if you have poor credit or you are a younger driver in which case you might have a harder time driving the bargain you want.

Last tips:

- All ways deal in total price of the car, never in the cost of monthly payments. (You will get the short end every time, if you focus only on the monthly payment numbers.)

- Know the going rate for financing. If you know your stuff on financing and have good credit I have found the ford dealership can usually shop for a really good interest rate on your loan. Evener better in most cases than you can do easily find on your own. Also, make sure your loan is simple and not graduated interest. With graduated you pay most of the interest in your early payment. (Bad news if you trade the car in before its paid off).

- Also, sell your trade yourself. I have never seen a dealer that didn't short change people pretty badly on the trade. If the trade is a good clean car in good condition and you don't want to try selling it yourself. Try CarMax. CarMax usually will beat a dealer quite a bit. This is what I did and got $1500 more. However, I would have gotten a sale tax break on the amount of the new car paid for by the traded. So, to be fair I really came out out less then $1500 ahead, but I was still was ahead.

Hope this helps. I have bought numerous new cars over the years. I've learned most of this by getting bitten on my first couple of cars. I don't getting anymore. I stick to my guns and have gotten nothing but good deals since(even on hot desirable cars).

Good luck,

Nut Case

--I might be crazy, but I am not stupid
Old 02-19-2006, 04:53 AM
FMullegun

Yeah I have my credit union doing the loan. I got one dealer to come off of sticker so far. How does this sound as a price?

GT Deluxe

Options:
Auto
Interior Upgrade
$25,628

Sticker is 27,315

She claimed to be 200 over invoice but its really 500 over invoice. You think
I can get it lower?
Old 02-19-2006, 06:32 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Good luck.

I managed to order mine at invoice. On the other hand the salesman was wet for me, I walked in said I want to test drive this car, gave him my spec sheet and 1k and ordered it. He brought it back at 26770, thats almost exactly invoice via what I estimated on the web.

Ford doesnt make deals on GT's, if you want it you will buy it... if not go get a V-6
Old 02-19-2006, 06:50 AM
FMullegun

Yeah I cannot really wait that long to order it. i guess i will try to talk her down a little but order it anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 GT questions (General)