Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choices...Choices.. Choices...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Mag66

Default RE: Choices...Choices.. Choices...

ORIGINAL: rattsj

The rx8 is a great car and is rumored to be one of the best handling production cars ever built. Rated right up there with the elise. So keep that in mind because I am sure the change will be like switching from figure skates to combat boots. I wouldnt say that if you owned any other car but that rx8 is next level when it comes down to handling.
But if you can accept that american muscle is american muscle (not a sports car) and not compareable with anything else. I think you will be very happy with a Mustang GT
Couldn't agree more with you. The '8' is really the most amazing car in terms of handling.. especially for the price and I know I am giving up something which I will not find in any other car below $70k..... but it's time for a change after two years.. and if I am to stick within my budget then I have to move in a different direction.. so the 'stang appeals to me for a taste of good old fashioned American muscle... I just got back after test driving the R/T and I can honestly say that for all the Charger's good points ( 4 doors, roomy back seats and a healthy amount of bottom end 'grunt') it doesn't compare to the same 'feel' that you get when you drive the 'stang...

The Jag, had it been in better condition at that price, was actually very good in terms of feel... and was probably the only serious contender along side the 'stang. Two very different cars of course.. but both equally good in their own right.. much like the "8" is an excellent car too.. which holds it's own against many, many other cars costing twice as much or more.. but, it has it's own failings.. and the main one is obviously a lack of real 'power'.. I'm also a little sceptical about it's long term reliability.. (I've had my "8" in the garage on a far too regular basis fixing this and that..) so I decided to part company with it.. and find something that was different.. a different style of car and having never owned a bit of Americana.. the 'stang seemed an obvious choice give the huge improvements made to the 05/06 version... and the ability to mod it later.. something which was available to me with my '8' but on a much more limited basis indeed.

I guess, now the decision is made.. so I will be calling the dealer this morning and arranging delivery..

Thank you all for your input.. and for this forum which I have delved into and read through almost continuously for the last week or so.. trying to learn as much as I can about the car, it's owners and what is good, great.. and 'so-so'... and so far it seems the good and great far outweigh the 'so-so'

Cheers..

Mag
Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

Great choice! I've never owned a piece of Americana myself but in about a week or two, I will be the proud new owner of a stick GT. I can't wait and I'm sure you will love it as much as I will.

As a suggestion, get the C&L Intake/programmer + the Borla catback system. That should give you the OOMPH you and I are looking for.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

i think i am more able to answer these questions than most, considering i drive a current 06' gt fully loaded, except the 1000w shaker, with an auto, and the car i just got rid of in november was a 2004 jaguar S-type R and i test drove the crossfire too before buying the stang, which has the exact same engine in it as my mother's C32 mercedes AMG. The stang, yes i wish it had a manumatic shift, instead of just a 5 auto, but it does kick down relatively easily. The jaguar, as much as its an amazing car, handles unbelievably for its portly weight, and is incredible on the interior, (especially with the touch screen navigation) and voice recognition stereo.....the brembo brakes and 18 inch continental sport contacts were wearing out every 6000 miles for me, costing me about 10,000 dollars a year just for replacements on them, (i drove between 15000 and 20000 miles a year). and its a gas hog at 13 miles to the gallon when you enjoy it, on 91 octane. The crossfire, reminded me a lot of my old SLK driving it, which is not hard to believe considering it is almost the exact same car....which means short, stubby, awkward, claustrophobic, and who knows what else. However i will tell you that the supercharged v6 in that thing is a torque monster, and with the manumatic shifter in it, the power is there WHENEVER, wherever you need it. Even getting from 90 to 120 on my way to vegas in passing lanes was a breeze. you just have to live with an ugly car. Anyway that is my two cents.....let me know if you have any more questions.

-christian

06' black mustang GT Premium Auto
Hood scoop
window louvers
quarter scoops
Billet grill
Interior kit
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Mag66

Well, after much thought (actually not that much as it really wasn't that difficult a desision after test driving all the cars I had been considering!) I got my 06 Mustang on the 1st March...

Thanks everyonel for your input.. It was much appreciated.

Cheers..

Mag
Old 03-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:30 AM
SK3055
1st Gear Member

Haha nice choice
Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

My stock GT took apart a Dodge Magnum with a Hemi V8 with ease. The guy knew how to drive and was probably about 40 years old. I took this girl home and her dad wanted to race me for one hundred dollars so I was like erm okay. So we go to about a road that is about a mile and I go to about a quarter mile and just slow down because he was so far behind. The race was best two out of three so we went once more and the outcome was even better for me. Took home a hundred dollars and this daddys pride.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

If you didn't know the Magnums are faster then the Charger R/Ts