Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Pics and "How to" of my 2010 GT Hood pin install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Heliguy77
1st Gear Member

Default Pics and "How to" of my 2010 GT Hood pin install.

Ok, I ordered a set of 2009 pins off ebay and was worried that the kit may not fit. Well, it fit just fine! First I had to remove the grill and the plastic piece that covers the radiator. I installed the 2 metal pieces under the radiator bracket that the pins bolt to. I Used a 3/8 socket in 9mm that fit perfectly in the hole that the pins screw to. I than used a vice grip to hold it in place. This allowed me to use a 90deg drill and a small drill bit and drill a pilot hole straight un through all 3 layers of the hood. Once the pilot hole was in, I used a 3/4 inch hole saw bit to make the whole. This worked out perfect and the pins sit dead center in the hole. The rest is easy. Hope this helps some one... They look great!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Last edited by Heliguy77; 06-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

ok enlighten me. Why would you wanna drill in to a perfectly good hood to stick to metel polls through and mess up the clean look??
Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 AM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
ok enlighten me. Why would you wanna drill in to a perfectly good hood to stick to metel polls through and mess up the clean look??
Hood pins are used for 2 reasons. The first one being looks. Some people like the way they change the appearance of the front of a stang. They are really simple but sometimes can make a big difference in appearance. In my opinion many mustangs look a lot better with them. The second reason is they are used as a safety precaution because they hold down the front of the hood so it doesn't fly up and blind you while driving really fast. Ultimately it really depends on the likes of the person.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Heliguy77
Ok, I ordered a set of 2009 pins off ebay and was worried that the kit may not fit. Well, it fit just fine! First I had to remove the grill and the plastic piece that covers the radiator. I installed the 2 metal pieces under the radiator bracket that the pins bolt to. I Used a 3/8 socket in 9mm that fit perfectly in the hole that the pins screw to. I than used a vice grip to hold it in place. This allowed me to use a 90deg drill and a small drill bit and drill a pilot hole straight un through all 3 layers of the hood. Once the pilot hole was in, I used a 3/4 inch hole saw bit to make the whole. This worked out perfect and the pins sit dead center in the hole. The rest is easy. Hope this helps some one... They look great!
Hey thanks for the write up, they come out really nice and look great!!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 AM
VistaBlue GT
2nd Gear Member

so they don't end up like this guy! yeah that is a v8 in a v6 mustang also

Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Heliguy77
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
Well, I really like the look! I could have put fake stick-on pins on, but thats just FAKE. I think it ads to the "Clean Look". When I saw it on the lot, I thought "Silver Stripes and Hood Pins!" Im very happy with it. Not for every one I know.....
Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Heliguy77
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue GT

WOW!! That SUCKS!!! I thought I only put the pins in for looks, but now im thinking function too! Had a friend in H.S. who had the hood on his Monty SS blow up and nearly killed him as he couldnt see the telephone pole he hit.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue GT
LOL i dont see the reason why anyone would even go through all the trouble of putting a V8 into a V6 stang...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
ColoGreyStang10
1st Gear Member

I really like it. I was thinking of doing the same to mine. I really like the stripes too!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bm2088hp
LOL i dont see the reason why anyone would even go through all the trouble of putting a V8 into a V6 stang...
I talk to that guy he's a member of another very good mustang forum, anyways he got tired of the vortech kit he had on the existing engine so he swapped that is the beauty of these cars they are truly real life hot wheels don't like your hood/engine/transmission/spoiler/exhaust/headlights well you start to get the picture right? Just swap em then if you don't like that swap to something else so easy even I can do it in my driveway no less lol
honestly though I think no car has more of a loyal following and parts availability in the aftermarket as well as factory backed parts than Ford's Mustang
edit to the op your car is hot man the hood pins imo perfectly compliment the stripes very nicely done
did you get those darn dings fixed man?

Quick Reply: Pics and "How to" of my 2010 GT Hood pin install.