Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Who Has Personally Installed HIDs in their 2010 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

I HAVE never had an HID kit with bulbs that were coated. They were all clear. But I figure why take the chance. Plus factory HIDS preform better and the projector puts out a much better beam paddern. 4300k is the stock Kelven rateing of almost all manufactures. Lexus, BMW, chevy on the traverse, corvette, acadia , enclave etc.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
I HAVE never had an HID kit with bulbs that were coated. They were all clear. But I figure why take the chance. Plus factory HIDS preform better and the projector puts out a much better beam paddern. 4300k is the stock Kelven rateing of almost all manufactures. Lexus, BMW, chevy on the traverse, corvette, acadia , enclave etc.
Explains a lot. Unless there's a shield, the HIDs (or any bulb for that matter) will glare terribly. Thus the coating on incandescent bulbs....

Not sure if you own a 'stang, but there are thousands of configurations. Unless you order, you're going to make sacrifices. In my case, I wanted a white GT vert premium manual. The dealer found the car 100 miles away and gave me a great deal; my issue with ordering was the trade-in value on my old car. It is assessed when the car is delivered, and a new model was on its way out.

The only regrets on Retro's HIDs have been with those who didn't do bulb coating. I haven't yet read a negative post otherwise -- and this tends to be a picky bunch.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickelDime
Explains a lot. Unless there's a shield, the HIDs (or any bulb for that matter) will glare terribly. Thus the coating on incandescent bulbs....

Not sure if you own a 'stang, but there are thousands of configurations. Unless you order, you're going to make sacrifices. In my case, I wanted a white GT vert premium manual. The dealer found the car 100 miles away and gave me a great deal; my issue with ordering was the trade-in value on my old car. It is assessed when the car is delivered, and a new model was on its way out.

The only regrets on Retro's HIDs have been with those who didn't do bulb coating. I haven't yet read a negative post otherwise -- and this tends to be a picky bunch.
I never even knew there was such a thing as a coating. My silverados Headlamps have this big metel shield infront of the bulb and you can bairly even see the bulb it self when its off. I really dont see what the coating would do there.

but I know what you mean about orderding but its all I really got left. Unless somthing REALLY close comes in to one of the dealers im going to order in the next couple weeks. Its super hard to find HIDS/ torch red (for some reason candy apple is more popular and I hate that tone of red) and the shaker 1000. Other than that Im easy on the options. But those are my must haves. And I wont be trading anything (still have my insurance money in the bank as a down payment from my old mustang), so I can eliminate that thankfully.

Last edited by Rollin Thunder; 09-05-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

I never even knew there was such a thing as a coating. My silverados Headlamps have this big metel shield infront of the bulb and you can bairly even see the bulb it self when its off. I really dont see what the coating would do there.

but I know what you mean about orderding but its all I really got left. Unless somthing REALLY close comes in to one of the dealers im going to order in the next couple weeks. Its super hard to find HIDS/ torch red (for some reason candy apple is more popular and I hate that tone of red) and the shaker 1000. Other than that Im easy on the options. But those are my must haves. And I wont be trading anything (still have my insurance money in the bank as a down payment from my old mustang), so I can eliminate that thankfully.
interesting -- HIDs, for me, were a "want" rather than a "need." It's one of the few things that's rather easy to change (vs. color or trim level). I still want them, and the best kit out there (by a good margin, and for the money) appears to be the Retro kit. More on bulb coating here. If you're doing non-projection aftermarket HIDs on a 2007+ Mustang, it's a MUST DO. You will otherwise be blinding the other cars on the road as there are no shields in front of the bulbs.

RE: Retro -- I can't find anyone with a bad experience yet. And if I did, it would literally be one in over a hundred reported good experiences.

There was something else going on with your silverado. If it's a stock color, stock intensity, behind a shield, aimed so as not to blind people -- how on earth would a cop ever know the difference from stock ?!

Last edited by NickelDime; 09-05-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

interesting -- HIDs, for me, were a "want" rather than a "need." It's one of the few things that's rather easy to change (vs. color or trim level). I still want them, and the best kit out there (by a good margin, and for the money) appears to be the Retro kit. More on bulb coating here.

I can't find anyone with a bad experience yet. And if I did, it would literally be one in over a hundred reported good experiences.

There was something else going on with your silverado. If it's a stock color, stock intensity, behind a shield, aimed so as not to blind people -- how on earth would a cop ever know the difference from stock ?!

well It was just my luck he said he has a silverado as his personal vehicle and he knows they dont have them stock and that adding HIDS was illegal.

HIDS are a want for me to. But their enough of a want to warrant them a necessity on my next mustang. I have the stock ones on the vette and cant live with out them. The fact you can actually SEE is huge. I dont get them for looks I get them for preformance.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

well It was just my luck he said he has a silverado as his personal vehicle and he knows they dont have them stock and that adding HIDS was illegal.

HIDS are a want for me to. But their enough of a want to warrant them a necessity on my next mustang. I have the stock ones on the vette and cant live with out them. The fact you can actually SEE is huge. I dont get them for looks I get them for preformance.
Good point. Sucks that the cop knew his vehicle SO WELL!!

I would be quite shocked if you got into any trouble with a solid aftermarket kit @ stock kelvin/wattage.

Besides, my car has tint on the front windows -- I look at that as a safety issue, as well - the glare from the sun and all - given the brand new nature of the car and increasing numbers of HID on the road, plus the stock color/intensity -- it's a bit of ado for nothing. Then again, I wasn't just pulled over
Old 09-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Good point. Sucks that the cop knew his vehicle SO WELL!!

I would be quite shocked if you got into any trouble with a solid aftermarket kit @ stock kelvin/wattage.

Besides, my car has tint on the front windows -- I look at that as a safety issue, as well - the glare from the sun and all - given the brand new nature of the car and increasing numbers of HID on the road, plus the stock color/intensity -- it's a bit of ado for nothing. Then again, I wasn't just pulled over

scared the **** out of me since I just got an FUA so I have to be carful for the next 5 months or else I get points for everything. So I was worried he got me for somthing worse. To be honest I think I will order some retrosolution coated HIDS for it though as that may make it even better.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bgmikejr2009
Rollin Thunder:

Checkout my pics on my myspace page at www.myspace.com/bgmikejrisback
Also here's a few images for ya

Hope this helps and yes they are bright at 8000K

Do You by chance live in Va beach???? I was on laskin at the great neck light about 9:15 p.m. and I saw a black mustang With HIDS blazing Just like yours. DIdnt cetch the license plate. Car was going the opposite direction off of Va beach BLVD where it vears to either stay on the blvd or go to laskin rd??? Just curious. Looked great. But I thought the fogs were highbeam for a few seconds.

Edit- Just looked at your myspace. COOL!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
bgmikejr2009

Rollin Thunder,

Yes that was me and the license plate is MIKES GT
Old 09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bgmikejr2009
Rollin Thunder,

Yes that was me and the license plate is MIKES GT
those lights are bright as hell but they looked great.

Quick Reply: Who Has Personally Installed HIDs in their 2010 Mustang?