Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Project Complete - Modified Stock Grille and Painted

Old 11-29-2009, 03:17 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Project Complete - Modified Stock Grille and Painted

I have another post on here so you can refer to that one for background details and other pictures. I've been looking for an aftermarket grill for my Mustang and there's nothing out there for the 2010s yet.

I cut out the back of the honey combs (the backing part of it) and also the backing behind the pony logo. I did it with a Dremel and it was a major pain but ended up looking really good in the end.

After the cutting I took apart the pony logo, painted the back piece black (for accent) and then repainted the pony in chrome, along with the rest of the grille. If you look in the other thread, I painted it chrome then too but the backing made it WAY too much, overkill. Now, without the backing, it looks better.

Here's the end result. Let me know what you think.....

Last edited by discodave; 11-29-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:44 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I think that looks better than all of your other grill mod attempts. It doesn't seem to really go with the flow and styling of your car though.

I'm also guessing the plastic you removed was there for structural support. On the other hand, you've opened the front up to more airflow across the radiator.

How'd you get the textured stuff off the pony from the bedliner material?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:11 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
I think that looks better than all of your other grill mod attempts. It doesn't seem to really go with the flow and styling of your car though.

I'm also guessing the plastic you removed was there for structural support. On the other hand, you've opened the front up to more airflow across the radiator.

How'd you get the textured stuff off the pony from the bedliner material?
I don't think it was there for structural support. This thing is still very solid. Even behind the pony, where I cut out the back, it's only connected by small pieces on all four sides and it still won't go anywhere.

I sanded it with a Dremel. I used the small sand wheel attachments and it came off fairly easily. I'm not sure if you've used those before, but if you left it on the plastic long enough it would sand completely through the platic as well.

Yeah, I know this look isn't for everyone, but I like it
Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Oooh that looks very nice. What chrome paint did you use?

I'd like to find some chrome paint that would withstand the temps the intake manifold reaches.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

interesting
Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Oooh that looks very nice. What chrome paint did you use?

I'd like to find some chrome paint that would withstand the temps the intake manifold reaches.
Thanks! I went to Pep Boys and bought a can of spraypaint called "CHROME". That's what it says in all caps across the front of the can. It has a chrome cap, and usually sits next to the Gold version of it.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

It's not for me but I am really starting to see where you are going with the white and silver look. This is by far the best of your custom grills. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by douglasland
It's not for me but I am really starting to see where you are going with the white and silver look. This is by far the best of your custom grills. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks! I thought the chrome grille would look good with the rest of the chrome color that's on the car (wheels, accents, etc.). If I end up hating it, I'll probably paint the grill to match the stripes, which is hard to do since the stripes change color based on the amount of light shining on them. hmmmm.....
Old 11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

All of your mods look great! I really dig the color scheme you have gone with.
Originally Posted by discodave
Thanks! I thought the chrome grille would look good with the rest of the chrome color that's on the car (wheels, accents, etc.).
The wheels are polished aluminum, not chrome, IIRC. Nonetheless, everything looks great together!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT_n00b
All of your mods look great! I really dig the color scheme you have gone with.

The wheels are polished aluminum, not chrome, IIRC. Nonetheless, everything looks great together!
Thanks! It's all blending well together. I know the wheels aren't chrome, that's why I said chrome "color"