Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

I Got the "Paint Something" Bug Again - Painted Rear Bumper and Side Molding

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default I Got the "Paint Something" Bug Again - Painted Rear Bumper and Side Molding

I wanted to paint the black plastic portion of my bumper and side molding to match my silver stripes. I also painted the rear decklid panel.

I used Duplicolor Spray Paint and I think it turned out pretty well.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Beats the black that was there. Not quite sure about the rear lower mating up to the stripes, but if you like it that's all that counts.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I think the rear needs more contrast. What if you left the deck lid black?

Last edited by Adam; 12-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Well thats gonna be a little hard now AJ 68 lol I like the black too but the silver def gives it a personalized touch! 1+ for you and your pony being unique thats what makes us and our stangs set apart from the rest!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Your making it your own, I like it. You ought to do your Rockers and front valance now to match! Did you hear about that retired Seinor Chief in DE? The Cole Guy?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Definitely an interesting look, A little too much silver for me I think without the stripes it would be cool, but that just me. If you like it great. I think I am going to paint my black to match my car.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Hey I wonder how the paint on the rear molding will hold up with weather and cracking? Does anyone know how one should go about getting their black rockers and their rear painted like the process? Or just leave it up to a good shop??
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Interesting....but be sure to do the little front splitter too

I like it man!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
Interesting....but be sure to do the little front splitter too

I like it man!
Thanks! I knew I'd get mixed reactions since everyone has different taste. I'm going to paint the front tonight after I pick her up (getting the 4.10 gears and Posi-Trac installed today).

This paint should hold up. I did the same thing to my Jeep (but in a different color) and it help us just fine. I put about 5 coats on total (very light coats). I also used a can of Duplicolor "Adhesive Promoter". Works like a champ.

If anyone ever attempts this and is not that familiar with spray paint, just remember that very light coats are the best way to go. Do a light coat and let it dry, do another let it dry, and so on. The last thing you want is to put too much on one coat and it not fully dry before you add another coat to the top of it.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Your making it your own, I like it. You ought to do your Rockers and front valance now to match! Did you hear about that retired Seinor Chief in DE? The Cole Guy?
Thanks. I did do the rockers. I guess the way the light was hitting them in the pictures made it hard to tell, but if you look closely you'll see that they're done too. Those were actually the hardest. From a distance all you see is about an inch or two of plastic (from the side as you're looking at the car from a distance), but when you open each door you'll see how far in those rockers go. Even though it's only about 2 inches in, it's still more than you think is there, and it makes painting it harder.

And, no, I didn't hear about the COLE guy. What happened?

Quick Reply: I Got the "Paint Something" Bug Again - Painted Rear Bumper and Side Molding