Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Side Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
chief

Default Side Scoops

Hi Everyone! New to the forum and want to ask a question about the side scoops on a 2011. I have a grey GT Premium (comfort package and 19" wheel package) and I had the dealer install side scoops and quarter window louvers. They mounted the side scoops by lining up the bottom body contour, so they are about 1/2" too low. They painted only the outside of the window louvers, so through the windows, you see black louvers with grey fingerprints. The dealer said they would take the louvers off, paint the insides and remount them. OK by me. The questions is, should I let them attempt to move the side scoops to the proper position or are they more likely to mess it up by trying? They are stuck on with 3M body tape as far as I know. What do you think or what would you do?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Make them fix their mistake. If they mess it more, then make them fix that too. To be honest, dealerships don't actually do a lot of after-market body panel installs and don't have a lot of expertise with it. But, by the time they eventually get yours right, they'll be well-versed, and the next guy will probably get them done right the first time.

Think of it as your public service to the next guy. :P

Besides, you paid for it, and you deserve to get what you paid for. No shame... tell them to make it right.

You know, it's the same with stripes. Dealerships can't put stripes on to save their butts. Off-site paint and ody shops are the way to go if you don't want to do the work yourself. That's where the experience is.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

If you paid for them to do them the first time............Then have them fix it. I would have them fix it. There is no excuse for shody craftsmanship. You paid to have it done right, not wrong. Just my 2 cents...............
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

post up a pic
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
chief

Thanks for the quick answers! I'll have the dealer move the scoops and see how it goes. I hope to be able to get a picture up tomorrow. I figured the dealer would know where the scoops go; they could have just looked at the CS on the lot. The body shop says they can't be moved, but the service honcho says they will do it. I hope to get it done this week. I'll let ya know!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Not only should you have them do it right, you should have them throw in something extra for wasting your time by having to bring it back IMO.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
chief

RAT281, here are the pics, I hope -- haven't done this before!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
chief

Well, looks like that didn't work. I'll try again later!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Be careful on the painting of the inside of the louvers. I have read that the 3M will not hold at speed with the painted surfaces.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
chief

Thanks, AzPete. I hadn't heard that. I'll check with the dealer.

Quick Reply: Side Scoops