Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Stock HIDS vs aftermarket...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I have the factory HID's. This is my third car with factory HID's and I love them. I think they look great. Yes, less Retro but then the '10 is a cross between Retro and Modern anyway. I love the HID's. In every car where I have had them factory installed, the HID's were fantastic.

I cannot speak to the aftermarket HID's for the Mustang, but I have done aftermarket HID's on my F150 and on my wifes Expi. I hated both of them. Traded the Expi in and left the stock lights on the new Expi. I actually removed the HID's from the F150 though. I find that factory the housing is designed for the spray pattern of the bulb. Aftermarket they are not. They just didn't work well to me. Again, I don't know on the Mustang aftermarkets.

I ordered my car because I wanted factory NAV and factory HID and couldn't find that combo in Kona Blue. But the dealer can do a search and see if the combo exists in your color choice on a lot some place. Mine didn't so I ordered.

I don't have any pics with the lights on, but you can see the factory HID's in my signature pic.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
i had stock and big differ.lights up those ditches where deer stand, heck with being curtious it's my insurance and life when on road at night and if legal I'm burning them

Technically aftermarket hids are not legel. But most cops dont care.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I have the factory HID's. This is my third car with factory HID's and I love them. I think they look great. Yes, less Retro but then the '10 is a cross between Retro and Modern anyway. I love the HID's. In every car where I have had them factory installed, the HID's were fantastic.

I cannot speak to the aftermarket HID's for the Mustang, but I have done aftermarket HID's on my F150 and on my wifes Expi. I hated both of them. Traded the Expi in and left the stock lights on the new Expi. I actually removed the HID's from the F150 though. I find that factory the housing is designed for the spray pattern of the bulb. Aftermarket they are not. They just didn't work well to me. Again, I don't know on the Mustang aftermarkets.

I ordered my car because I wanted factory NAV and factory HID and couldn't find that combo in Kona Blue. But the dealer can do a search and see if the combo exists in your color choice on a lot some place. Mine didn't so I ordered.

I don't have any pics with the lights on, but you can see the factory HID's in my signature pic.

Hope this helps.

Thats what im worried about, reflectors that are originally designed for a halogen bulb are not capable of throwing the HID beam properly, causing a scattered glare. But new vehicles today have far better designed headlights than before. My yukons look stock. beam is great, cutoff is good (not projector but its defined) and theres no glare. My corvettes are awesome, incredibly bright, razer sharp cutoff and if im in the middle lane it shines across all 5 lanes on a highway but the cutoff is below everybodys line of site so there is little glare. Projectors are the only type of headlight I have seen to provide this type of light. Are the mustangs projectors a good quality?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
Thats what im worried about, reflectors that are originally designed for a halogen bulb are not capable of throwing the HID beam properly, causing a scattered glare. But new vehicles today have far better designed headlights than before. My yukons look stock. beam is great, cutoff is good (not projector but its defined) and theres no glare. My corvettes are awesome, incredibly bright, razer sharp cutoff and if im in the middle lane it shines across all 5 lanes on a highway but the cutoff is below everybodys line of site so there is little glare. Projectors are the only type of headlight I have seen to provide this type of light. Are the mustangs projectors a good quality?
The Mustang HID's are much like you describe from your Vette. They are very good. I have had three new vehicles with HID's from the factory. 1. Audi A6, 2. Ford Focus and 3. the 2010 Mustang.

I have also driven many vehicles at length with HID's. This would include the AMG S55 and Quatroporte.

So far, I would rank the Ford Focus as having the absolute best HID's I have ever experienced. I know it sounds crazy, but Ford made HID optional on the SVT Focus and Standard on the Mach Audio Focus a few years back. The HID's were lifted directly from the European Focus. They were the most stunning set of headlights I have ever experienced.

The 2010 Mustang and Audi A6 performed are about the same.

The AMG's were better (should be for $150k) and the Quatroporte were so so.

I find that unless the reflector is designed for HID, then they usually do not do very well. And then once you have HID in a proper projector you can never go back. Any vehicle that has factory HID on the option list when I purchase, that option will be checked.

Just my $0.02 or perhaps $0.03 but hey, who's counting.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Another option for you, if this is really your perfect car and turns out to be the only one close to you, you just buy HID lights from ford (at a higher price) and have them install them for you. Just another idea and way to get your dream car.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

I ordered my mustang with the factory HID, which are actually bi-xenon like those installed on most european cars. My wifes Volvo has factory active bi-xenon lights, and I love they way they look and perform. they are a bright blueinsh hue and really light up the road and periferial area. The xenons on my Mustang are just as bright, but the hue is more white than the Volvo.

Opinions are like ***holes, but put me in the group that thinks the 2010 mustang looks awesome with the factory HIDs
Old 01-25-2010, 05:08 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Well mine are called bi-xenon lights, and are legal, when bought my car was no choices, was the only one in 3 states back in april, so ford wanted 2,500 for hid's installed no way.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 01-25-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
Well mine are called bi-xenon lights, and are legal, when bought my car was no choices, was the only one in 3 states back in april, so ford wanted 2,500 for hid's installed no way.

replacing the bulb in your factory housings and putting hids in is NOT legel. I have no idea where you got your info on that. No matter how stock or good it looks its never going to be legel. But again, most cops dont care, or know enough to ticket for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
Another option for you, if this is really your perfect car and turns out to be the only one close to you, you just buy HID lights from ford (at a higher price) and have them install them for you. Just another idea and way to get your dream car.
I read on here that they are like 2200 from ford though? when only 900 when you order it (as you need security as well) Im still not sure what im going to do but im leaning about just getting the one on the lot, and retrofitting some projectors in the near future.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

I am very pleased with OEM HID's and I like how they bring a modern touch to the retro styling. First car with HID's so I can't comment about performance other than I am really happy with them.

Quick Reply: Stock HIDS vs aftermarket...