Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Fingerprint in Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Default Fingerprint in Hood

So I'm hopin Pascal and others will chime in here.

I think I've found a fingerprint on my 10 day old hood. It's small and I can't get a good photo of it. I dropped by the dealership (without the car) and they were very receptive of making the situation right. That being said they cautioned me that "no body shop can reproduce the factory finish" and was I "going to be ok with that".

What truth is there in this statement that the body shop can't reproduce the finish?

I am planning to get stripes done but this statement caught me off guard.

Thanks as always for your help!

Douglasland
Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

You mean there's a small dent in your hood? Is it at the front where someone would press down to close the hood? Could it have been caused by a rock?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM
kking08

i believe that what the dealer said is true. i always say there is no better paintjob then a factory paint job. ive had 3 cars painted by 3 differnt painters and was very unsatisfied.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

No dent. Simple ridges of a finger print in the finish. You have to follow a reflection to see the marring in the finish.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by douglasland
What truth is there in this statement that the body shop can't reproduce the finish?

I am planning to get stripes done but this statement caught me off guard.

Thanks as always for your help!

Douglasland
Stupid dealers always come up with new ones!!
I say no shops can reproduce the OEM finish, they can do only better, lol.

In all fairness, to reproduce the factory orange peel, the painter has to set the gun to a high pressure set up and spray from further away then normally required, just like the robots do at the factory... there's your O. peel.

The finger print most likely comes from the prep...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Is it in the paint or the clearcoat? I put a scratch in the clear of my bumper when installing the Roush valance. Took my Porter-Cable polisher and some Glare Spider remover to it and it's gone.

I don't buy the "not as good as factory" line. I've seen hot rods with far better paint jobs than any factory one.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Shimrra

you will never reproduce a factory finish because it is make for assembly line robots to do.
you can get a cheap one and it wont be as nice, or a nice one and it will be better.
you will never duplicate it to a T though because of how it is laid to start with.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 PM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

What about colors? It is likely expensive (but I ponder at times how much), but a good shop can take a Kona GT and add white stripes (in the style of the current GT500) under the finish just fine, right?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

So is the dealership is saying that someone else will put MORE fingerprints in it? I don't buy that line. I've been satisfied the two times I've had to match the factory paint on my cars. I would probably get the whole hood repainted vice a touchup though.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

I had my GT500 spoiler painted at a bodyshop, and it exceeded my expectations. Not all bodyshops are created equal though. If you do decide to get the hood resprayed, look at the work that the bodyshop turned out...

Quick Reply: Fingerprint in Hood