Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Question for those who have quarter window louvers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
crzyforddrvr

I put the Roush ones on back in October. I'm happy I went with them. I have not seen any issues with the bond. My only and one small complaint is that when you wash your car they drip forever and leave streaks. The only way around it is taking some compressed air and blow the water out from behind the louver.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Ok so i went to try and fix my louvers with new 3m tape and they both ended up falling of fin my hand, i am surprised the things havne;t flown off the car on teh road. they are the roush louvers, dealer is a tool for saying they were FRPP. anyhow, i think the issue is that when the dealer sprayed them, they didn't mask the part off. There is paint all over the ribs of the louvers and the roush instructions clearly say mask off all parts that will have tape installed. i can only assume the paint is too slippery for the tape to grip, the tape pulls off the louver and leaves no residue behind. the stuff won't come off the car period. Moral of the story is they should be fine if they are prepped properly.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 AM
joelr9801
1st Gear Member

I have the factory louvers, funny enough I had the same question. The windows looked like crap from the inside and the dealer told me they were on with dbl sided tape. I took a closer look and I saw they were held on by heavy duty velcro! They do pull off with a lot of force. I started at the top of the front and pulled down and out. Now I have clean windows and they popped right back on.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 AM
huskerfan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Ok so i went to try and fix my louvers with new 3m tape and they both ended up falling of fin my hand, i am surprised the things havne;t flown off the car on teh road. they are the roush louvers, dealer is a tool for saying they were FRPP. anyhow, i think the issue is that when the dealer sprayed them, they didn't mask the part off. There is paint all over the ribs of the louvers and the roush instructions clearly say mask off all parts that will have tape installed. i can only assume the paint is too slippery for the tape to grip, the tape pulls off the louver and leaves no residue behind. the stuff won't come off the car period. Moral of the story is they should be fine if they are prepped properly.
You are absolutely right. All the overspray must be cleaned off the inside of the louvers to make the tape adhere properly. Once this is done, the tape will hold so well you won't be able to pull the louvers off without damaging them! This is the painter's fault, so let them fix it.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, mine are double sided tape.

It will be 115 outside in a few more weeks, i am sure they will fall right off the car then. It's only about 80 outside now and the tape keeps coming lose the dealer used.
Tape typically loses adhesion at very cold temperatures and becomes soft but sticky at hot temperatures.

A handy way to removed taped items is w/ freeze spray. (This requires an Arnold / Mr. Freeze accent for effect.)

Once removed w/ freeze spray, the tape is usually okay to reuse once warmed to room temperature.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Those ribs are retarded, I have no idea how they expect the tape to stick to them even if it wasn't painted. I got the DGcustom ones, same basic style with no ribs inside. Haven't had an issue yet, I hit it to about 120mph on the hwy just to test them and my back louvers, so far so good lol. I'll know more when it warms up a bit more I guess.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

These pictures might answer a few questions.

DG Custom louvers before installation.

Installation instructions

Final results

I followed the instructions exactly. The louvers are on there so tight, I don't think I could get them off without prying on them. Very satisified with DG Custom other than they did not provide a tracking number once my order shipped.

Dave