Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

2010+ Mustang Blackout Panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Elewis1989

Default 2010+ Mustang Blackout Panel

I am thinking about picking one of these up for my 2010. Are they worth it? Does the magnet effect the paint in anyway?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-m...-blackout.html
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

No, it will not damage the paint.

Pro:
- Fairly inexpensive
- Looks good
- Easy to install

Con:
- Some people report that around the edges of the faux gas cap, some of the car's color is visible (i.e. on a white car, some white around the faux gas cap can be seen)
- Some reports of stretching/shrinking due to temperature
- Easy to install, and just as easy for someone to simply peel it off

After research, I've decided to just get a vinyl shop to black it out when I get my windows tinted and hood stripes (the shop can do it all). I don't have a quote, but should be about $50-$80.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down

I biught that magnetic panel back in January, the first week I owned my 10GT. The craftsmanship on mine was terrible! The hole that goes around the GT emblem looked like it was cut by my 3 year old daughter. The bottom was also cut bad where it never lined up properly with the trunk. What made my experience worst is that I left a negative comment on there website and they deleted it so that no one could see a negative comment when looking at this product. I went ahead I ordered the real decklid panel from Ford for $189 and my dealer body shop put it on for free.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
GRABOID
1st Gear Member

Ya I havent caught many good things about the magnet ones. i could of got vinyl super cheap since my cousin and his wife run a print shop but I went with the CDC faux cap delete one because I like the more flush look with the tail lights and bumper. If I dont like it I will just pull it off and sale it so I can use the vinyl.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM
GRABOID
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JB04GT
I biught that magnetic panel back in January, the first week I owned my 10GT. The craftsmanship on mine was terrible! The hole that goes around the GT emblem looked like it was cut by my 3 year old daughter. The bottom was also cut bad where it never lined up properly with the trunk. What made my experience worst is that I left a negative comment on there website and they deleted it so that no one could see a negative comment when looking at this product. I went ahead I ordered the real decklid panel from Ford for $189 and my dealer body shop put it on for free.
That deleting of negative comments stuff PISSES me off. And to find out a company did that is a negative in my book for sure.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

The faux cap delete is similar to the one Ford has right? With all the lines and stuff? I wish they would make a matte black one that is smooth and deletes the cap.

And JB04GT, that comment deleting biz is from american muscle?? That's pretty disappointing
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by m0nkeydump
The faux cap delete is similar to the one Ford has right? With all the lines and stuff? I wish they would make a matte black one that is smooth and deletes the cap.

And JB04GT, that comment deleting biz is from american muscle?? That's pretty disappointing
Yes, from American Muscle! I've spent about $2000 on them with my 04GT and have never had a problem. But when they deleted a negative comment with my 10GT, it has now left a sour taste in my mouth! Maybe my magnetic panel was just a needle in the haystack, maybe I should have called them about it and got a refund, but when they deleted my honest post I said **ck it, I'll buy one from Ford!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Hmm, that deleting does suck...maybe that;s why AM's reviews are almost always 5 stars. Gotta love their prices and CS though.

I had one of those mag panels when they first came out on eBay. I consider it a temporary mod to let you see if you want to invest in vinyl/paint. It doesn't look good enough to be permanent and starts peeling on the edges toward the top. But it worked for me because it made up my mind to get the area painted.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I left a negative comment on an AM product as well. They deleted it. That's not right.

Take all AM product reviews with a grain of salt!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
justin_burke05
2nd Gear Member

got the magnetic panel and it tore as i was installing it! its fragile to say the least.. AM hooked me up with a new one and i am satisfied for my fourty bucks. i would probably go with vinyl after awhile or totally skip the magnetic panel all together now but i guess to find out what the look is all about and for a cheap price its not a bad deal. like the guys above said it doesn't fit perfect. on mine i had to cut a little more out of the gas cap hole and it shows a little red paint on the bottom(doesn't' completely cover)

Quick Reply: 2010+ Mustang Blackout Panel