Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Louvers installing in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Reapman

Default Louvers installing in Canada

Hey Guys, I'm looking at doing some appearance mods to my white 2010 GT, and from reading the forums here and such I decided to look at the SHR rear quarter panel Louvers. I really love the looks and seems like they don't reduce visibility as bad as some others.

Anyways living in Canada seems like my options for these are fairly limited. I've checked around for getting them painted / installed and only found one place (so far) that would even consider doing something like this. Dealer won't touch the SHR's. The place quoted me $450 for doing the paint job.. Also mentioned that the louvers are smaller then the windows by a bit, so the urethane will show through in a pretty bad way which requires some painting to cover over. May add to the paint costs. Sounds like install itself is only $100. Ordering pre-painted from SHR seems to add a month to shipping times.

So questions are:
- How hard is it to paint? I've never done any work like this before. Doable or best left to the pros?
- Does $450 sound reasonable for someone to do the painting work? I think SHR sellls em prepainted for $400 total.
- Do you think the SHR's are worth the hassle?
- Anyone in Alberta have any shop recommendations?

Right now I'm fairly tempted to say screw it and do racing stripes instead...
Old 06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Reapman

Another question.. instead of starting a new thread thought I'd ask here see if get any bites:

Was told from one installer that the whole thing would cost about $1000, not including materials. He also mentioned that the quality of the "glass" in these is pretty crappy, and will probably turn milky / cloudy and requires a lot of maintenance to do this. Not really sure what to think on that, a quick search around on the forums I wasn't able to find anyone reporting these sorts of issues with the SHR Louvers.

Any tips from anyone that may have had these installed for a bit now would be appreciated, thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
badsneakers

I just got my SHR louvers installed last month, and I'm not sure what he means about the urethane showing though, the fit and finish on mine were spot on.

If your willing to look around, I picked mine off ebay for $115 shipped and painted. I got quotes from guys in Vancouver for the installation, they all wanted 500+ to install. Decided to get a glass guy to pull the quarter glass out for me and installed the louvers myself.

Originally Posted by Reapman
- Do you think the SHR's are worth the hassle?
They are defiantly worth the hassle.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

I did the install myself. had a local auto body place paint mine up at the same time they were fixing a ding and painting my new gt500 spoiler. No sealer will show if done right and the outside perimeter of the SHR louver is the same as OEM glass. 1000 dollars to buy, paint and install louvers is redonkulous.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Reapman

Hmm thanks for the tips... I was nearly convinced to ditch em for the Roush's, but reading these and doing some more googling is making me think to go with my gut and go SHR. Shipping may not be an issue as my folks are visiting my sister in the US anyways, have em drive them back and avoid UPS's disgusting brokerage fees.

Also good idea about having someone remove the glass first.. going to relook over the instructions and see what I can maybe get some glass place to take care of for me.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 AM
adblink

potentially stupid question, but do all Louvers (whatever brand) require the rear window to be removed?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adblink
potentially stupid question, but do all Louvers (whatever brand) require the rear window to be removed?
Just the SHRs. Others will attach with brackets or 3M tape.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 AM
adblink

So any ideas where we can get the 3M/bracket mounted ones in canada?

This isn't an accessory the dealership will carry is it? I would prefer to buy it already painted if that's even possible
Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 AM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

Talk to Darren at Stang Motorsports in Nisku, he has a good body shop ( Dean Caron) who can do the paint and install.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Reapman

Originally Posted by 2011CS
Talk to Darren at Stang Motorsports in Nisku, he has a good body shop ( Dean Caron) who can do the paint and install.
They're still around? Good to know I had heard they were shutting down, gonna have to give them a call. Thanks

edit: Should add that if you don't mind online, American Muscle was tempting for when I bought my louvers.. didn't have em available pre-painted or I would have gone with them, they have specifics regarding their shipping to Canada, very "Canadian Friendly" website which I liked compared to the others.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/

Looks like your in Ontario tho.. not sure what's local out there :/

Quick Reply: Louvers installing in Canada