Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Finally, Shelby Redlines and Nitto 555's On Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Nathan0490
1st Gear Member

Shane what is the big deal with these Nitto's over the P-Zero's or even something like these?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM
SweetSandMan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nathan0490
Shane what is the big deal with these Nitto's over the P-Zero's or even something like these?
Well I can tell you that the Nittos are considerably less expensive than both of the other 2 you mentioned. I can also tell you that the 555's are far more street worthy for daily driving than either of the other two...especially the pole positions. Those are great sticky tires but show them a little rain water and you're walking on eggshells...they love to hydroplane out of nowhere. The P-Zero's are great all around and will outperform the 555's on nearly every level (except road noise)...but they are substancially more costly than the 555's as well.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Nathan0490
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SweetSandMan
Well I can tell you that the Nittos are considerably less expensive than both of the other 2 you mentioned. I can also tell you that the 555's are far more street worthy for daily driving than either of the other two...especially the pole positions. Those are great sticky tires but show them a little rain water and you're walking on eggshells...they love to hydroplane out of nowhere. The P-Zero's are great all around and will outperform the 555's on nearly every level (except road noise)...but they are substancially more costly than the 555's as well.
I had the Pole Position AS' on my 09 Lancer GTS and drove in rain a few times and really had no issues except for the time my CAI sucked up some rain water and almost hydrolocked my engine.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
SweetSandMan
1st Gear Member

I had the Pole Position AS' on my 09 Lancer GTS and drove in rain a few times and really had no issues except for the time my CAI sucked up some rain water and almost hydrolocked my engine.
On a Lancer GTS you probably wouldn't notice much...when you add a little bit of oomph...it's a whole new ballgame. They are relatively stable in the rain I didn't mean to make it sound like they are undrivable because that is untrue...but it's highway off-ramps and situations like that where they are a bit scary and tend to be a bit on the unpredictable side.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Nathan0490
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SweetSandMan
On a Lancer GTS you probably wouldn't notice much...when you add a little bit of oomph...it's a whole new ballgame. They are relatively stable in the rain I didn't mean to make it sound like they are undrivable because that is untrue...but it's highway off-ramps and situations like that where they are a bit scary and tend to be a bit on the unpredictable side.
Are the Nitto's good with rain? And what about these stock AS Pirelli's?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
SweetSandMan
1st Gear Member

Are the Nitto's good with rain? And what about these stock AS Pirelli's?
The 555's? No they are pretty good all around actually. Not the stickiest but sticky enough for the average driver to get that "holy crap these rock" feeling in their pants. The Invo's are a more aggressive and IMO, for the price, cannot be beat. But they will struggle in the wet (most UHP tires do, that is nearly unavoidable). They are not nearly as bad as the Kuhmo Ecsta's Xs...seriously...avoid wet conditions like the plague with those....they are sticky as all get out and warm up extremely quickly...but my god they should be labled as "dry conditions only." IMO if you want an amazing sticky tire that offers great all-around performance. Dunlop Direzza Star Spec. Great firm traction with no mushy feeling like the Invo's will give you under hard cornering, very quiet, extremely predictable, and surprisingly good wet traction to boot. They are a bit on the pricey side but eh...they're worth it IMO. I'm trying out a newer tire currently that I acutally LOVE the feel of. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's...haven't had an opportunity to get them out in the wet yet as my car has been parked for about a week now but they can take 310+whp and 350+wtq to the front wheels and keep it planted no sweat...plus they are priced pretty good as well!

Edit: what are the Stock Perelli's? P-Zero?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

The 555's are great tires and come in the sizes for the S197, the Invos and NT05's require some compromises. I had 555's on my 05 vert for a year and they work well in the winter (at least in Texas temps rarely under freezing) and hook very well on the street. they also wear very well. I'm not familiar with the other tires you mention, but the 555's are widely held as some of the best tires you can put on a stang.