MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010-current S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section-132/)
-   -   questions on tint (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section/605518-questions-on-tint.html)

LostBoyz 06-14-2010 08:19 PM

questions on tint

I am looking to get my mustang tinted. I've never tinted a car before, and was just looking for what kind and how much to pay. I was only going to go 20% on rear quarter and rear, and 35% on front windows.

I was also looking at picking up these:
http://www.lamin-x.com/Ford-Mustang-...ver-p/f230.htm

do they work, are they easy to apply? gunsmoke, smoke, or charcoal?

Alec 06-14-2010 08:33 PM

A lot of people, including myself, wish they would have went darker and 35% isn't very dark. I have 30% and it seems kinda light for me but I don't know how the cops are in your area. Also, make sure you get something to protect the tint from scratches i.e. moleskin or felt

The place I got mine done charged $100 (they were having a special) with a lifetime warranty. I would have been skeptical, but they are the official "tinter" for the Audi dealership near here, so I felt confident. Most places seem to charge ~$200.

Even though I want it darker, I love it and it's soo much better than nothing. I don't know how I went without it for so long

LostBoyz 06-14-2010 09:06 PM

Currently I love my visibility, my main goal is to keep it relatively cooler so I'm not pushing the A/C so much on longer drives. I have a few quotes on non-specific products ranging from $150-$200.

conejo172 06-14-2010 09:12 PM

Going rate for good s¤^t is between $150 and $200
Its on my list but of least importance

auburntiger8685 06-16-2010 03:04 PM

I payed $275 for 28% carbon tint. Looks great. The carbon is gauranteed to never fade or anything and it has a darker look. I also got talked into getting 70% percent on my front windshield. All I know is my car(black) is probably 20 degrees cooler than it was before the tint.

Cal26Stang 06-16-2010 03:26 PM

Don't do 35, it is a huge waste of your time and money. Do yourself a favor and get 20 all round, unless your ballsy and want 15...I personally have like 7%, but I have a prescription for it...A good, reputable shop will charge around 175 with moleskin installed. This should include a lifetime warranty...If you were here in KC I could hook you up with an incredible deal

Nathan0490 06-16-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang (Post 7060219)
Don't do 35, it is a huge waste of your time and money. Do yourself a favor and get 20 all round, unless your ballsy and want 15...I personally have like 7%, but I have a prescription for it...A good, reputable shop will charge around 175 with moleskin installed. This should include a lifetime warranty...If you were here in KC I could hook you up with an incredible deal

Agree with this... I got 20% all around with LLamar tint, looks perfect. At night you can't see in it unless you get within 2 feet.

LostBoyz 06-16-2010 11:16 PM

I could care less how well you can see in. I am getting the tint to make the car cooler, temperature wise not aesthetics. I like the look of tint, but getting it dark enough you can't see well out of it isn't what I am going for.

Thanks for the advice, there are about 12 places within 10 minutes of here that do tint, I am going to get a bunch of quotes and see who has the best deal and product.

iceguyb14 06-17-2010 03:06 PM

i went with 35% front and 20% rear and i love it. cost me $190 for the best film the place offered. looks great. from the front/side it looks really dark, but you can still see through it from the side and rear/side so you dont have to worry about cops.

MOOK3456 06-18-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by LostBoyz (Post 7060939)
I could care less how well you can see in. I am getting the tint to make the car cooler, temperature wise not aesthetics. I like the look of tint, but getting it dark enough you can't see well out of it isn't what I am going for.

Thanks for the advice, there are about 12 places within 10 minutes of here that do tint, I am going to get a bunch of quotes and see who has the best deal and product.

35% is plenty if you're not actually trying to hide. I have 35% on my doors and 5% on the back. Looks good and does help with the heat somewhat (still gonna get hot in there regardless if it's in the sun).

As far as the moleskin...You have an '11. You don't need it. I'd caution you though to not decide based on price/product alone though. Just because someone uses good film and doesn't charge as much doesn't make it a good deal if their installation skills suck and you're bubbling down the road.

Ask to see some of their work. Talk to some people and find out how their rep is.