Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Body Kits - Like'em or Hate'em?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM
BQuiz

Question Body Kits - Like'em or Hate'em?

My car:

I've never been a big fan of body kits. Generally speaking, I've not been a big fan of anything that adds "bulk" to the Mustang...side skirts, fascias, stick-on scoops, louvers, etc. I'm a fan of the clean/smooth look on the new Mustang.

HOWEVER, I keep thinking about what my car would look like if that lower black plastic was replaced with painted parts...from the right body kit. I've looked at a ton of pictures...Stillen, Saleen, Cervinis, etc. I like some of each, but not really the whole package on any of them. I have no aspirations for side scoops, louvers, or a bigger rear wing than what I have...so really just looking at front, sides, and rear. Could possibly be talked into the right hood at some point for a little more aggressive look there.

Aside from the gay sounding name that I would have to get past ("Boy Racer" = WTF?), what do any of you think about the Boy Racer kit from 3D Carbon?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It does look better than their attempt at the 05/09 cars, without of course, those ugly 22" wheels.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Hate'em
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i believe the boy racer kit is the ugliest aftermarket kit..
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
bxsicecold
1st Gear Member

I like the Boy Racer(hate the name) kit. I love the look of a well done body kit on a mustang. There are some out there that are to "ricey" but thats not one of them. I say if you like it, rock it.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

That boy racer kit is kindoff decieving, as the rear will still be the black plastic as the factory one unless you have it sanded down and painted like the pic. Which you can just do to the factory pieces.

Not mine, saw this at MUstang Week. The owner just had the lower pieces sanded and painted.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM
BQuiz

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Not mine, saw this at MUstang Week. The owner just had the lower pieces sanded and painted.
You know....that's not bad right there. Doesn't add the bulk. Thanks for the pic. I can tell I'm going to have to play with Photoshop. lol
Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
carnage

since you asked......

I hate them. Hideous. Ugly. Overdone. Gawdy.

A car is similar to a woman. A beautiful woman doesn't need a tattoo, a nose piercing, a ring on every finger, an ankle bracelet, gawdy makeup, and a toe ring.

Beauty is found in simplicity. In good lines, a nice stance, and how the car flows.

Flames, body kits, additional vents...all of it just reeks of an ankle bracelet and a ring on every finger.

It's like hearing the dumb guy in the bar yammering about how smart he is. Smart people never have to scream it, because people just know----not because of what they say, but what they don't say.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
BQuiz

Originally Posted by carnage
since you asked......

I hate them. Hideous. Ugly. Overdone. Gawdy.

A car is similar to a woman. A beautiful woman doesn't need a tattoo, a nose piercing, a ring on every finger, an ankle bracelet, gawdy makeup, and a toe ring.

Beauty is found in simplicity. In good lines, a nice stance, and how the car flows.

Flames, body kits, additional vents...all of it just reeks of an ankle bracelet and a ring on every finger.

It's like hearing the dumb guy in the bar yammering about how smart he is. Smart people never have to scream it, because people just know----not because of what they say, but what they don't say.
See, I tend to agree with you. I have this curiosity about what it would look like, but I'm afraid to muck up a good thing. Painting those lower pieces might end up being the best thing for me, as long as it's a quality job.

If everyone felt the same, the aftermarket industry would be in ruin. LOL

I see that you're from KY...where?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BQuiz
You know....that's not bad right there. Doesn't add the bulk. Thanks for the pic. I can tell I'm going to have to play with Photoshop. lol
Just a thought: the lower body pieces come painted black to reduce the "visual height" of the car. When you paint them body color, you add back that height. Don't know if you consider that "bulk" or not. BTW I like side scoops and louvres but don't care for the full body kits; I agree with the guy who called them gaudy. Finally, I think the new Saleen hood is killer, here's a pic:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Kits - Like'em or Hate'em?