Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Tail Light Covers vs. Tail Light Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Corporate D
1st Gear Member

Default Tail Light Covers vs. Tail Light Tint?

I should be taking delivery of my black GT soon. I'm looking to black out the car. What's everyone's thoughts about tail light covers and tint? Which is more durable? I've also seen "Spray-on Smoked Color Lens Paint." Anyone have experience with that?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

spray on tint can look good if done right, but takes a lot of work to do it right. a lot of times it comes out hazy, with over spray, and uneven between the taillights. covers are really dark and give you problems with cops, plus ive heard where they stick on you can see through the lens. i personally like the taillight tint. thats why i purchased it.

i went with the tint from american muscle for the taillights, side marker lights, turn signals, and third brake light (got the "mustang" decal). it all fits well, is easy to apply, and looks good. plus you can take it off if you want, unlike the spray on stuff. and since we have superbright LED's, they are bright enough that cops dont mess with you. my pics are on americanmuscle's website for you to see. ive had them installed for a few months and they still look exactly the same as the day i put them on.

here are the taillights stock vs tinted

approx 2:30 into this video you can see how the lights light up well with the tint in the daytime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU38-NyJjxs

and here you can see the lights on the side stock vs tinted. no they arent completley black. they still let plenty of light through at night to not have cops mess with you.

Last edited by iceguyb14; 08-18-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM
MustangBradQ
1st Gear Member

i used the vinyl tint on my rear and front lights and have no problem with light coming through and used the spray on tint from autozone for about 5 bucks on my side markers.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Corporate D
1st Gear Member

i think im getting the tint for the tail lights and spray on tint for the side markers too. iceguy, i love your car! it's pretty much what i want my car to look like. Did you powdercoat the rims or paint them? Love the license plate
Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 AM
spitfire760
1st Gear Member

Default Sprayed em

I sprayed my tail lights on my 2011 stang and my 98 stang i do need to spray the 2011 again they are a bit hazy

Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Corporate D
i think im getting the tint for the tail lights and spray on tint for the side markers too. iceguy, i love your car! it's pretty much what i want my car to look like. Did you powdercoat the rims or paint them? Love the license plate
be careful with going too dark on the sidemarkers. if you cant see much light through at night, cops will surely pull you over. at least in va they would.

and thanks! i just painted them black. best $11 mod so far
Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

If Shane comes in to comment, he can back me up on this: At least for the rear, the covers are 10000x better than tint. I tried two sets of rear taillight tint, neither one worked or covered the entire light (sides included). The GTS symbol on the covers can be peeled off.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion, the covers look tacky
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

true it doesnt cover the whole tail light. only the face. but no one notices and you cant really tell, even if your looking for it.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

I sprayed then clearcoated mine, if your using Rust-Oleum lens tint tint i do suggest the clearcoat cuz if you want like a smoked out look the rust-oleum tends to go matte with lite coats, if your going for blacked out then the rust-oleum itself will be fine.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Covers vs. Tail Light Tint?