Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

OEM Pedestal Rear Spoiler: Where to buy already painted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjace34
I just bought a painted pedestal Kona Blue from ebay for $85 plus $25 shipping. Got it a few days ago....looks great color matches just having hard time getting the factory spoiler off. I removed the 4 screws but the factory double sided tape is strong.
The Ebay seller ID is thespoilerstore

PAINTED FORD MUSTANG 4 PEDESTAL SPOILER 2010 2011

Item condition: New

Price: US $85.00

Shipping: $25.00 Standard ShippingSee more services

Seller info thespoilerstore
99.5% Positive feedback
Please post lots of pictures once you have it installed. Is it two-tone blue and black ... or is it all blue ??
Old 10-11-2010, 05:19 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LB75
I had the same problem removing my factory spoiler. Ended up using some 50 lb test fishing line to cut through the tape. Worked great.
Can you make a simple vid to show the procedure of doing this?
I am actually afraid that I would botch it up and cut into the paint anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fyreant
Im looking for an OEM rear pedestal spoiler for my 11 GT and it looks as though the dealers cost is like 4-500 bux and thats not even painted. Anyone know where I can get a painted one thats ready to install?

thanks!

Ant
I went to the dealer the other day, and to paint, color match, and install the Ford approved pedestal spoiler on a '10-'11, the cost would be around $600.

The Ford approved pedestal spoiler by itself (not painted, not mounted) costs something under $400.

I myself am tempted to go ahead and order just the raw spoiler, and ask all the body shops how much they would charge to paint, color match, and mount it
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 PM
LB75

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Can you make a simple vid to show the procedure of doing this?
I am actually afraid that I would botch it up and cut into the paint anyway.
I will see what I can do. In the meantime, imagine you're flossing your teeth. I just wrapped the fishing line around my hands and gently slid the line back and forth under the spoiler, always pulling up on the line so it didn't mess with the paint on the decklid.

This is actually the procedure spelled out in the Ford service manual to remove the spoiler.

To the OP, I bought a pre-painted pedestal spoiler and it wasn't worth it. All of the "OEM Style" spoilers are blown ABS, one piece units. The one I got didn't line up with the factory holes and it just doesn't look as nice as the two piece Ford units so I returned it and bought the factory Ford model. I think you're getting ripped on the paint and install by your dealer. My Ford dealer quoted me $190 for prep, paint and install.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LB75
I will see what I can do. In the meantime, imagine you're flossing your teeth. I just wrapped the fishing line around my hands and gently slid the line back and forth under the spoiler, always pulling up on the line so it didn't mess with the paint on the decklid.

This is actually the procedure spelled out in the Ford service manual to remove the spoiler.

To the OP, I bought a pre-painted pedestal spoiler and it wasn't worth it. All of the "OEM Style" spoilers are blown ABS, one piece units. The one I got didn't line up with the factory holes and it just doesn't look as nice as the two piece Ford units so I returned it and bought the factory Ford model. I think you're getting ripped on the paint and install by your dealer. My Ford dealer quoted me $190 for prep, paint and install.
Thanks! My concern was cutting into the clearcoat, through that, and into the basecoat. But if it is a Ford approved body technique (which I assume is done by thousands of other body professionals), I will put my faith in it.
I would still love to see a vid of how it is done so I could attempt to do it in the same manner.

As for the Dealership quote for the paint, color matching, and mounting, I too got around the same price of something under $200. That and the Ford approved spoiler (which is something under $400) came up to around $600 (a little more after you add taxes).
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 PM
LB75

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Thanks! My concern was cutting into the clearcoat, through that, and into the basecoat. But if it is a Ford approved body technique (which I assume is done by thousands of other body professionals), I will put my faith in it.
I would still love to see a vid of how it is done so I could attempt to do it in the same manner.

As for the Dealership quote for the paint, color matching, and mounting, I too got around the same price of something under $200. That and the Ford approved spoiler (which is something under $400) came up to around $600 (a little more after you add taxes).
I'll do a quick video of it tomorrow. I put the original spoiler back on after realizing the aftermarket one wouldn't work.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM
LB75

Originally Posted by JWButler14
Did y'all have to drill any extra holes for the pedestal?
Yes, there are 4 additional holes that need to be drilled for the pedestal spoiler. I tried mounting the aftermarket one without the extra holes and bolts and there's no way it will work.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
tjace34
1st Gear Member

I just installed mine yesterday....I unbolted the whole trunk and had to drill 4 additional holes....it already has 4 holes for the stock spoiler but you definetly need to drill 4 additional.....looks great
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM
fyreant
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjace34
I just installed mine yesterday....I unbolted the whole trunk and had to drill 4 additional holes....it already has 4 holes for the stock spoiler but you definetly need to drill 4 additional.....looks great

Pics??

Last edited by fyreant; 10-12-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Tex-can
1st Gear Member

My dealer here in tx gave me a price of $284.00 for the 4 post ped. spoiler. Then needs to be painted. I figured I would do that myself. Would love to see pics of the after market vrs the OEM from ford. Be carefull about using the fishing line with bare hands, it will cut right into your fingers or hand. Better to wrap it around a piece of wood and use that for a handle. If not, then be sure to use gloves.

Quick Reply: OEM Pedestal Rear Spoiler: Where to buy already painted?