Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Any new hoods in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Default Any new hoods in the works?

I want a Carbon hood for my 2010 one with an exhaust vent and NO scoop. Any company have anything in the works I should wait for or do I have to make my own?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Trucarbon.net
Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

They have nothing in the works that interests me. Just another rehash of an old hood with none functional scoop in the front. That hood wasn't functional in 70s and it isn't functional today. Even if it was it isn't what I want and if others like it that's cool for them.

Last edited by 908ssp; 10-24-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
They have nothing in the works that interests me. Just another rehash of an old hood with none functional scoop in the front. That hood wasn't functional in 70s and it isn't functional today. Even if it was it isn't what I want and if others like it that's cool for them.
I am with you...I wanna see some more hood designs.No company seems to know how to make ANYTHING but those ugly pig nose hoods.
VIS makes a copy of the Saleen hood and a OEM hood in CF. Not sure on their quality..I have read they are good but some say no
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Actually all the Trufiber/trucarbon hoods are functional ram air/heat extractors. The scoops in the front direct air over the OEM air box location.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
Actually all the Trufiber/trucarbon hoods are functional ram air/heat extractors. The scoops in the front direct air over the OEM air box location.
yeah those are ok and all, the catch is that the 2010 doesn't draw air in from under the hood, the air comes from outside the engine bay inside the front grill so those functional vents that route the air to the airbox seem moot.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
JV Doose
1st Gear Member

am i the only one that feels like there is no "good looking" hoods with scoops ... :/
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JV Doose
am i the only one that feels like there is no "good looking" hoods with scoops ... :/
Absolutely not. That is what I asked for when I started this thread no scoops. And I am pleasantly surprised to see so many speak up in agreement.

What is weird is that people think most scoops work. Most don't work and I am not say they aren't connected or don't have hole through to the engine compartment but that they don't take air in. They are located too close to the sheet metal the boundary layer of air prevents any meaning amount of air even entering the opening. And many are actually placed in a low pressure zone so that air is as likely to exist as to enter. Cowl induction works and which way is the scoop point? Towards the wind screen where a high pressure zone exists.

I am installed a SC this winter that raises under hood temperatures I want more air to exist easier. That will allow more air to flow through the SC heat exchanger and radiator and keep radiant heat from building up. I need venting I have more than enough air entering through the front of the car. I don't need no scoop.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

you can always look at that Steeda hood..or just take a jigsaw and cut a hole in it just like they did.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
you can always look at that Steeda hood..or just take a jigsaw and cut a hole in it just like they did.

Cutting it out myself looks very likely. But I have time. The car will be down for a couple months this winter and the weather isn't really warm enough to worry till April or so. Maybe some interest might get some manufacturer of their duffs and make the investment in a mold.

APR had vents shaped like those found on Ford GT only smaller on a hood for 05/09 cars but they don't seem to have any interest in making a hood like that for the 2010+ cars. The GT vents seem like a sure thing to me hardly a gamble. Surely there are a few dozen people in the country that would buy a tie in with the Ford GT? I understand putting Aston Martin vents or Ferrari vents might not go over but GT vents seems obvious to me.

Quick Reply: Any new hoods in the works?