Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's
Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Remove Decklid trim panel

Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Default Remove Decklid trim panel

Has anybody removed it? My car came with one and i didnt want it. How bad will it be to take it off. Will there be any holes?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331
Has anybody removed it? My car came with one and i didnt want it. How bad will it be to take it off. Will there be any holes?
im pretty sure they use the double sided tape stuff, no drilling. If you really dont wanna risk it then go to the Ford place and theyll take it off.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

you mean the real small lip like spoiler?
yes there are holes under it if you remove it.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
spitfire760
1st Gear Member

Default black vinyl

if your talking bout the black vinyl easiest way is to heat it up with heat gun or blow dryer and start peeling back i put the black vinyl on mine and some one messed with it at the parking lot at work so i tried to take it off to place a new piece of vinyl down but that glue is tough to get off the car i ended up just buying a magnetic one that looks awesome and fits well you can prob get it off with goo gone or something else but i guess i was just impatient
Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I am sure they do NOT use double sided tape on the deck lid panel, because I looked at mine and it is flush with the decklid itself, I think it uses the bolt locations from the faux gas cap to bolt onto the decklid.

Take it to Ford to have them remove it, just incase something fuzzy happens.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
I am sure they do NOT use double sided tape on the deck lid panel, because I looked at mine and it is flush with the decklid itself, I think it uses the bolt locations from the faux gas cap to bolt onto the decklid.

Take it to Ford to have them remove it, just incase something fuzzy happens.
-Pretty sure it DOES use double sided tape (just as the faux gas cap is attached with)! Look up the installation instructions.

I think people usually use heat combined with fishing line behind the panel to loosen/break the tape bond. If you remove it without damaging it and want to sell it PM me! ;-)

Note....you will need to buy a new faux gas cap as it it's permanently attached to the deck lid panel and isn't the same as the stock non-decklid panel GT cap (panel is flat...bare trunklid is curved).
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 PM
11GT4ME

I just installed the factory decklid trim panel on my 2011 GT. It IS held on with double stick tape. There is a strip at the very top, the very bottom, and a circle piece the size of the gas cap behind the gas cap. There are no bolts. There are tabs that go into the trunk lid, but those are for alignment only.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, my bad. Looking at my decklid cover it dosnt seem to look like it has tape under it. ohwell.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11GT4ME
I just installed the factory decklid trim panel on my 2011 GT. It IS held on with double stick tape. There is a strip at the very top, the very bottom, and a circle piece the size of the gas cap behind the gas cap. There are no bolts. There are tabs that go into the trunk lid, but those are for alignment only.
thank you
Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11GT4ME
How much of a PITA was it to remove the faux gas cap...and how did you go about doing it? (heat and fishing line?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove Decklid trim panel