Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

lets see what you use to keep your Mustang looking pretty

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lovablesteven
for some odd reason i cant seem to make my car as shiney as ive seen others. could it possibly be my paintjob? or is it because im not using the right products?
What color is it? It could be the paint. It could also be your technique or possibly what you're NOT doing. Probably not so much the products. Even using sub par products, with the right technique, you can still get great results.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
Not really true at all..I can use my PC and just by odd contours of the body lines..say right below the rear 1/4 windows and the body lines on the hood of the cowl. The PC will almost stop spinning if you give it the slightest wrong angle with almost no pressure at all. this is with 5.5" pads..Granted this can be looked at as a safe feature as its almost impossible to damage your paint..but when you are confidant with the use of it and things like this happen it gets annoying..it didnt happen often and usually if your familiar with the machine you can correct it and get it on its way in a sec or two..Thats just you have to be careful on pads you choose for PC..5.5" pads for correction and 6.5" are fine for anything else. Also the adams stuff seeing them correct something do they do an IPA wipe down to remove all left behind oils and fillers to make sure its actually correcting and not just filling and hiding. I am sure you can do correction with 7.5" pads its just 5.5" pads work SOOOOO much better and are cheaper

I am kinda confused about the whole not made in USA thing Adams pulled the product. What is the big deal about that and how does it make it bad..hell some of the best products are made in Germany...Wolfgang, menzerna...then you got brands like SwissVax. none are US made and are considered the best really.

ohh one other thing..did you get some good quality microfibers as well. Cause if you got all that other stuff and then spend all that time fixing the swirls and scratches and then have some junky towels you will just end up having a bunch of scratches again on paint you just thought you cleaned up and spent hours on.

I ordered the microfibers you suggested along with a few other htings liek the wooly mamouth drying towel and one of those air blowers cause it looked cool. It may suck, but it seemd eaiser to handle than a leaf blower.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I picked up a nice cabinet today for my stuff..fits much better then the old drawer things I had

lol dude, I bought the same cabinet for my stuff. lowes for $44 FTW! I also picked up a cart to set stuff on so im not tempted to put things on teh hood or top of the car and a big double halogen light on a stand. I'm hoping that my stuff will be in this weekend so I can try it all out. All teh stuff from chemical guys only shipped today, so I bet some of it won't get here until next week.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lovablesteven
for some odd reason i cant seem to make my car as shiney as ive seen others. could it possibly be my paintjob? or is it because im not using the right products?
I know, reading and answering FTL... Anyway, did you clay the car? If you skipped that it could be the reason.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
lol dude, I bought the same cabinet for my stuff. lowes for $44 FTW! I also picked up a cart to set stuff on so im not tempted to put things on teh hood or top of the car and a big double halogen light on a stand. I'm hoping that my stuff will be in this weekend so I can try it all out. All teh stuff from chemical guys only shipped today, so I bet some of it won't get here until next week.
what cart did you get..I am looking for a decent plastic tool cart I can use when buffing the car..I hate laying my machine on the ground as fear of it accidentally turning to the side and end on the pad then I gotta use a new pad cause its dirty..and i dont wanna beat it all up. also alot easier to keep buffer, chemicals, and towels in one spot then.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i picked up a wire one so it would be easier to clean, it has plastic liner things that sit in the bottom of each shelf though to keep things from falling through. it holds 500 pounds and is very well made. got it at sam's club for $55, way cheaper than anything else i found and i can just hose it off if it gets dirty in the garage.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...872&navAction=

Also if you have a sam's in your area they have some really epic shelving there. they have a stainless diamond plate looking one for like 300 that has door shelves and stuff, its cool. they also have matching wheeled work benches and stuff that are way cheaper than lowes for the same quality. I also picked up a nice littel rolling adjustable height stool at lowes for working n teh sides of the car. Even has a little tray for stuff around the bottom. Man... i spent a lot of money the last few days lol

Non car cleaning stuff related, i am picking up my painted mishimoto radiator cover and i had my battery cover and master cyl covers painted too! Excited! I am having the batt and mater covers coated in that plastic bra material before i put them back on to prevent scratching of the paint and getting the rad cover striped!

Last edited by ShaneM; 11-30-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

I envy ya'll. I get so ticked when I wax my car and it's dusty and spotty from the morning dew the next day much less when I take the car out and the person in front of me sprays their windshield water and it hits my car... Ya'll must get furious after all that time....

I have 2 serious questions that I know may sounds ignorant but I gotta ask.

1. If the high end products last so long why are you applying it so many times? I thought I saw where you were waxing the car to what equated to about once every week or two.

2. Are you using filtered water? Their is so much deposts in our water it spots almost instantly. How are you overcoming this challenge?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

well i waxed my car alot but it was mainly because I kept buying stuff and was trying new things out alot..but if i didnt buy anything I could get buy with waxing the car twice during the summer with Fuzion and calling it a day.
Not all high end stuff last a long time..my Souveran i got probably would only last 3-4weeks but on black car it darkens the paint and makes it look sooo wet and amazing. Now the other side that makes it a better wax is..you wipe it on and instantly wipe it off no dry time needed and leaves no dusting, doesnt turn white or chalky and removes very easy and the tiniest bit goes a VERY long way

I just started using my RO filter unit washing over the car after its sprayed off to help with no water spots showing up..but before I would just dry it in my garage so it would give me more time as sun doesnt bake the spots on the car.

and yes I get VERY irritated if i get sprayed by someone using their washer fluid especially since I only drive the car on sunny days and dont see the need for the washer fluid.