Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

I just purchased my first car, 2011 v6

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Talking I just purchased my first car, 2011 v6

And starting next month I am going to make her mine.Shes race red with a White mustang rocker side stripe. I don't think Ford could have come up with a fuglier idea than to paint aluminum wheels a dull metal flake aluminum color. I've been toying around with getting white racing stripes and painting the stock 17" painted aluminum wheels white and race red. I mocked up what it would look like in photoshop, and it looked decent, but I just think it doesn't give off the mean appearance that I'm going for.

So, I've decided to go with a blackout look. I live in northwest FL and driving around I haven't seen it done. There is a huge annual mustang car show here but I have never attended it but I assume that there, like here, will be quite a few Mustangs with this look. Because I don't have a huge income and a lot of it is being soaked up by car payment + insurance, I will be buying and upgrading 1 Piece at a time mostly.

Right now she is barebones. First thing that I am going to have done is to get the windows tinted next monday. The shop that I am getting the tint job at is charging 178 dollars. Does this seem reasonable? I haven't driven by any other shops that seem to be reputable that I want to call for a qoute.

After the windows get done, I think the next step I am going to do is to remove the white side stripe and sand and paint the wheels satin black using Duplicolor wheel paint See here and their clear coat. I believe this retails for about ~6 dollars a can. so that will be cheap but time consuming as I would have to do one wheel at a time because I own only one jack. (the car came with a 'fix-a-flat' system and no spare or jack).

Next after that I will either get a new grille for the front of the car See here for AM link I really love the look of this grille. Looking at the install guide they provide, there are only a couple pictures and no video. Does anyone have any experience with installing a different grille that could tell me how difficult / time consuming it is?

And after that I plan on getting the new stripes and a magnetic rear blackout panel. Side stripe Bumper to Bumper Satin rear blackout panel

So any tips or suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

pic of what she looks like now, sorry for bad angle there was a tree behind me.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

That's one heck of a first car, congratulations! Moving to larger rims and tires will have the largest impact on the looks of your vehicle so start saving. Then lowering the vehicle by an inch. Whatever you do make it your car and have fun with it.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I personally don't like the black out look at all, but its not my car so enjoy it as you choose. I would rather invest in some side scoops, window louvers or scoop (Cervinis), get a new front fascia, new rear fascia, some custom stripes, and possibly the GT500 SVT spoiler.

That is just me though.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the first new car. I'm not a huge fan of blackout all over, but that's your choice.

Here's my black decklid on Race Red:

Black Decklid by jsnyng, on Flickr

Here's window tint (15% rear, 30% sides):

2011 Race Red Ford Mustang GT (stripes removed) by jsnyng, on Flickr
Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the picture of the decklid. Looks good. I'm not a fan of sidescoops as the look like stick-on on the 2010+'s imho. I do see the shelby rear fascia and a chin spoiler in the future. I really do wish I could afford new rims and tires but I wont be able to until its paid off.

After seeing your's jsnyng. I think I'll skip the side stripe.

Thanks for the input. keep it coming.

Edit: jsnyng if you don't mind telling, how much was your tint job?

Last edited by xenocide; 11-28-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: prevent double post.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I have the decklid, ford window louvers, ford side scoops and then tint and the ford dark chrome front grille on my V6. Just showing you pics so you can see what they look like on a V6.

Last edited by theACE; 11-28-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Ace, Your wheels look slightly different than mine. Are they all painted aluminum or partially polish partially painted?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

The inner parts are painted a sparkly type of grey paint with clear coat and the outside areas of the rims are polished. This is how they came from Ford. Is your V6 a base model, because Your rims look just like mine without the paint and polish.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
The inner parts are painted a sparkly type of grey paint with clear coat and the outside areas of the rims are polished. This is how they came from Ford. Is your V6 a base model, because Your rims look just like mine without the paint and polish.
Yes its the v6 base, they are completely painted a dull grey aluminum color all over.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:01 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Ah, I think that explains it. I guess the painted wheels come with the premium model.

Quick Reply: I just purchased my first car, 2011 v6