Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Questions about paint/MF towels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

I'd be very cautious about having someone wet sand your car down to remove orange peel. It's not unheard of to go through the clear and in to the base coat. The orange peel is a bunch of peaks and valleys in the clear so to get rid of it the high spots in the clear need to be sanded down meet (or get closer to) the low spots. This can thin the clear out like crazy. And if there already isn't much there to begin with which is common with factory paint jobs then you could end up having to have a panel repainted. If you decide to seek out a shop or individual to do this for you, I highly recommend you do tons of research on them including seeing samples of their work and talking to customers. Find out what they're willing to do if they screw something up. More than likely they will blame the paint being too thin anyway. Even if they use a paint gauge to check thickness, a lot of gauges don't differentiate between clear, base and primer but rather just a gross reading and even then you don't know if its reading a peak or a valley in the orange peel.

It can be done but more commonly it is done with aftermarket paint jobs where the thickness of the clear coat is known and more than likely extra was laid down to compensate for the wet sanding.

05, I was thinking about your reflections shots the other day. The one with the basketball hoop. I was wondering if it was just the horizontal panels or not because looking over mine it seems it is the same way as yours. Overall I'm very happy with the amount of orange peel as it could be way worse but there is definitely more on the vertical panels than the horizontal panels.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM
par3773

I would also recommend that you use a clay bar on your car yearly. This will remove all the micro flakes that accumulate on the surface. This is what gives you the smoothest surface on which you can apply wax to.