Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

got my 3DCarbon GT500 spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
i sent the place I bought it from an email about it..with pic showing the condition I got it in and that paint rub mark on that one edge..wonder what they will say
I hope they take care of it somehow, mabye a gift cert or something like that. I plan on ordering the same wing for my '11 v6 and hope it doesnt come like that!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

well they said once I send them a better shot of that paint rub we will go from there. I dont know what to do though..since its on the car that tape is going to be soo hard to get off just like the stock one..I dont know if I just will say I am going to just keep it and in the spring just removing my trunk lid with spoiler and take it to a good body shop and have them respray the spoiler. it shouldnt cost much for that small paint job
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

That is completely unnaceptable. Very interested in hearing what they have to say about this. You should not have to pay to have it sprayed by someone when you already payed for it once and received unsatisfactory results. I was planning on getting one mysslf. Out of curiosity, where did you get it? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put the company on blast yet publicly.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

PM sent...well so far they seem pretty cool about it..as they are willing to work with me on what we can do to get it taken care of. I just think I am kinda stuck since the spoiler is on the car and that tape is on..my only hope is that maybe since its only 19 outside that the tape didnt fully bond yet and will pop off easy if I end up returning it for another.
I am pretty sure 99% of the people out there probably wouldnt even notice it...but I am sure alot of people on here know how **** I am with my paint..LOL

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-09-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ok new pics..this is definitely a paint rub..as it is very rough touching it with my finger nail

Now here is the good part LOL
these are not chips, scratches, or polish..this is low spots in the paint cleared over and that the primer you are seeing.

My next big problem is that I cannot get the spoiler off the car..with just the tape I was lifting up the back half of the car..i cant do the fishing line trick because the rear part of the spoiler wraps down the trunk deck lid some..so I am stuck.

I emailed the company the pics and told them that and my only option would be to remove the trunk lid with spoiler and take it to a body shop to have them repaint it.

Well good news they are refunding me $80 what it would cost them to repaint it..that is fine with me as it shouldnt cost me much more to have it re painted locally.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-09-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Can you spray a solvent like WD40 under the spoiler to soften the tape up? Try getting the tape started using a thin plastic putty knife or similar. I don't know what the gap is between the trunk lid and the wing itself so I don't know what will fit but it's possible that if you get the tape started that it will continue to pull off, especially if softened up first.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:03 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

no the gap is really tight..i could barely fit an exacto blade in there..with the refund they are giving me..I will just pull the trunk lid off with the spoiler and have someone repaint it...that shouldnt be to hard for a decent body shop.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I used a heat gun on the bottom side of my trunk lid to heat up the factory tape. The factory spoiler pulled off pretty easy once hot.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ohhh..maybe I will try that..would make it alot easier for the body shop to paint it if its off the trunk
Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
ohhh..maybe I will try that..would make it alot easier for the body shop to paint it if its off the trunk
Whatever you do, I would definitely recommend taking it off the trunk to be painted because I think someone like yourself will be much happier in the long run if it's done right.

Quick Reply: got my 3DCarbon GT500 spoiler