Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

RTR Aluminum Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
10MustangGT

Default RTR Aluminum Spoiler

Anyone heard if we might be able to purchace the 2011 RTR aluminum spoiler separately from a dealer....or if anyone is planning on making an aftermarket replica, i was dead set on a gt500 wing until i saw the RTR one, so now im putting off buying one till i find out.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

If CDC were selling it I think it would be on their web site. They are local so I drove over last summer and bought stuff direct they were real nice. During cruise week they I went their party.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

I'd love to know this also!

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help us out here. I know it wasn't on CDC's site last I checked....sooooo. ya
Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

CDC has been asked by me and others if they planned on selling RTR components (aside from the rims) separately. They wouldn't commit to a date, or specific parts. If I recall correctly I think something about spring time was being considered but not committed to.

If you really wanted one now, someone with a beefy sheet metal brake and shear could probably fab the same thing up. Not sure what thickness or heat treat CDC is using though.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
CDC has been asked by me and others if they planned on selling RTR components (aside from the rims) separately. They wouldn't commit to a date, or specific parts. If I recall correctly I think something about spring time was being considered but not committed to.

If you really wanted one now, someone with a beefy sheet metal brake and shear could probably fab the same thing up. Not sure what thickness or heat treat CDC is using though.
THanks bud!
That's a pretty neat piece though isn't it?!
I wonder how difficult it would be to reproduce it......probably not worth it for us normal folk
Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i talked with them at length about the parts as separates. they would not confirm or deny that the parts would ever be offered separately. then the guy says if you like the chin get the CDC one, our splitter bolts to it. I honestly suspect we will See the parts next year at some point, they will realize like shelby the aftermarket loot is in parts not an overpriced looks kit they are trying to sell via dealers.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
THanks bud!
That's a pretty neat piece though isn't it?!
I wonder how difficult it would be to reproduce it......probably not worth it for us normal folk
It wouldn't be too hard actually. I don't know about "normal folk", but I have training and experience with aviation sheet metal work. The only issue I see is that after getting the sheet of aluminum trimmed right, the bend isn't straight bend. It curves along the back edge of the trunk. The only easy way to do that without a press and die, would be to create two bucks to sandwich the sheet in-between. Then you would have to message the bend slowly while trying to not work harder the metal. I've done similar, but on a smaller scale.

On a side note, I have been considering doing something similar to this, but with making a custom aluminum replacement for the stock gurney flap on my GT500 spoiler.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:04 AM
10MustangGT

Well i guess ill order the GT500 style spoiler for now and if this one becomes available later ill just swap it out, thanks for all the input guys.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
It wouldn't be too hard actually. I don't know about "normal folk", but I have training and experience with aviation sheet metal work. The only issue I see is that after getting the sheet of aluminum trimmed right, the bend isn't straight bend. It curves along the back edge of the trunk. The only easy way to do that without a press and die, would be to create two bucks to sandwich the sheet in-between. Then you would have to message the bend slowly while trying to not work harder the metal. I've done similar, but on a smaller scale.

On a side note, I have been considering doing something similar to this, but with making a custom aluminum replacement for the stock gurney flap on my GT500 spoiler.
haha sorry I made that assumption......My kind of "Normal folk" are college Med Students haha

I'm good at suspension, but I get no spare time anymore (obviously)

If I had the tools and the spare time I'm sure I could figure it out, but it's not practical for me on my time schedule.......If you ever make one let me know and i'd be interested in buying it