Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Detailing question for the experts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Kitzy, I ordered several pads, red, blue, gray and orange. I'm pretty good w/ what they do and when to use them. I'm ok w/ applying the paste wax by hand, do you remove it w/ the dual action w/ a microfiber bonnet?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

if applying by hand..get yourself one of these..
http://www.autogeek.net/polishing-pal.html
Its easier to hold and apply the wax more evenly over the paint..instead of just the pressure from your fingers and most time by time I am half way through a car using a typical wax pad my fingers start to hurt.

I have never removed with a DA..I always remove my wax/sealant/compounds with a soft Microfiber
Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Something to keep in mind about carnuaba waxes is that in general, most only last 6-8 weeks. This can very based on many things such as your wash dilution, wash frequency, weather, etc. I've heard nothing but good things about Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant but haven't tried it personally. If you want a sealant that offers good protection, good looks and is the easiest thing in the world to apply, check out Optimum Opti-Seal. You just spray it on the panel and then wipe it around. You don't even remove it. It comes in a small bottle but will last a long time as you don't need much at all.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

It's really not worth it to remove the wax with a machine. If applied correctly in the first place, it takes very little effort to wipe the wax off. Some waxes are harder than others to remove and I usually end up avoiding them all together. Meguiar's #16 comes to mind. I also don't trust the quality of MF bonnets to be honest. What you can do though is take a good quality MF towel and put it between the paint and machine (obviously with a pad on it) and run the machine that way. It essentially does the same thing as an MF bonnet. But like I said, the wax should come off fairly easy and if it doesn't then you probably put it on too thick which is incredibly easy to do. I still do it all the time.

Edit - By the way, get yourself some white pads. They're the workhorse pad and should be the starting point for polishing. You'll almost always start with a white pad first and adjust your polish and pad combo from there as needed.

Last edited by Kitzy; 12-28-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

hehe, now i'm getting confused? when do i use the DA? for polishing and glazing? sorry, this is all pretty new to me!

So is the Gold Class wax I'm using just junk or is it 'ok'?

Last edited by RickyBobby; 12-28-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

No need to apologize. I'd rather you ask questions before hand than after you've done something wrong and have to fix something.

It's main benefit is polishing. I use mine anytime I'm dealing with polishes, glazes and liquid waxes/sealants. Paste wax I do by hand. Polish, glaze, and wax/sealant removal is always done by hand with a good MF towel.
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

i woldnt call the gold class junk..better then most over counter stuff. I use my DA to do paint correction, apply glaze, and apply wax..basically I use it for everything but removal. I use to do wax by hand...but I find using my DA I get a more even thin coat, i use less product because the DA helps spread it around the paint better then I can by hand.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

ok cool, I can't thank you guys enough for your help!!! I'll post pics after I get her presentable!! Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

I'm scared to death to use a porter cable but will try to learn eventually. I am between a couple of kits. Please help me. I will make a purchase in a couple of weeks. My car has micromarring on the side door and some spider webs. I'm between these kits. I feel that these kits dont have everything I want such as clay bar or a swirl remover. So it appears no matter what kit i order. I have to order some additional items, but unsure what i really need. The car is black. I think one of these kits would be something solid for me to start at and then grow from there. Thanks for your input. Its a daily driver.
http://www.autogeek.net/wg8001.html
or
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html
or
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuz...r-wax-kit.html
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

kit 2 is the only one your really going to remove defects with..unless you want to spend days trying to do it by hand..it also comes with everything you really would need but all you would need is to get a clay bar. it has the PC along with all the pads you would need to get the job done..Has the Wolfgang total swirl remover..that will take care of your spiderwebs and things with the orange or white.depending on how sever the swirls are..then you can hit it with the finishing glaze to remove any micromarring left behind by the heavier cut compound with either the white or blue pad. then you have wolfgang sealant that is very good and last a very long time. Souveran is nice as it darkens paint and really makes black glow..but it only last about 3-4weeks. Fuzion is very nice as well as its kind of a hybrid of sealant and wax and last a good 2-3months but really you dont need to make any other purchase to get started other then a bar of clay if you went with the PC kit you listed.
on the other hand you can get this and actually get more stuff for same price
http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html
get 1 Orange, 2 White, 1 gray, 1 blue..and you will get 2 free red pads with it
If you order one of these kits with pads..I would personally try and call and see if they will swap out the 6.5" with 5.5" pads..as the PC doesnt work its best with the larger pads.

http://autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-bundle2.html
this is the Combo I would get to take care of the paint..I have these 2 and they are really good stuff..they dont dust much like other products. The Power finish with the orange pad would take care of all your swirls..then follow up after you did the car with the white pad and Super finish to remove any micromarring left behind by the orange pad with heavier cut compound.
this is a good wax designed for darker colors
http://autogeek.net/nattys-blue.html
for the clay..I personally have always used the Mothers kit and it has always worked very well for me.
http://autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html
so for about the same price your getting a little bit more..

also dont be afraid of a PC to use on your car..it really is almost impossible to do any damage to the paint unless you slip and drop it on the car, or hold it in one spot for maybe 5min straight with some crazy cutting compound and a yellow pad.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-29-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Detailing question for the experts!