Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Detailing question for the experts!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Default Detailing question for the experts!

I've always been pretty good about keeping wax on my vehicle, but I want to take it to the next level. I've ordered a good dual action polisher and some pads. My paint is already in very good condition, no swirls or oxidation, so I'm starting w/ a clean slate. What process would you recommend? (cleaner, sealer, polish, wax etc..etc..)

TIA
Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

well first thing I would do is clay it..alot of times new cars will have some embedded dirt from train deliveries and such from the rail dust. since your car is brand new. Are you sure its swirl free..are you taking it on on a bright sunny day and using the sine to try and find imperfections..
Like here is my car out in sun the paint is defect free and no swirls...If there was any imperfections the bright sun would show them really easy

if it is swirl free..then I would just Glaze it..My recommendation for a good glaze is poorboys if you have a dark color car get the Black hole..if its a lighter color get the White Diamond. Then i would top it with a good quality wax..
http://autogeek.net/poorboys-white-d...how-glaze.html
http://autogeek.net/poorboys-black-hole-show-glaze.html

As far as the wax..What do you want to spend..a good wax for not alot of money would be poor boys nattys wax
http://autogeek.net/pbnpw.html

if you are looking for a higher end wax that is very durable, makes paint look great and about as easy as anything to use could get the Mini Fuzion jar
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuzion-wax-sample.html

but if you car is swirl free and doesnt need any correction..I wouldnt waste my time polishing. Just use your dual action to apply the poor boys glaze.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ohhh..be careful..This stuff gets ADDICTING..I only had about 1/2 of this last summer..and I now have bought most of whats in the pics in the past 3months

I got another order from autogeek coming to my house Thursday to..LOL
Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

WOW!!! that looks incredible!! That is exactly my goal!!! I did use the clay bar already to get the 'gritty' feeling off and I have applied several thin coats of was (Meguiars Gold Class liquid, not the best, but it does an ok job) I already ordered some Poor Boy Polish (BLUE) do you think that will work in place of the glazer? (since I already have it) With the paste wax, I guess there is no way to apply it with the polisher? I usually apply w/ the polisher and remove by hand. Again, AWESOME looking paint!! I can't wait to get mine lookin that good!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

WOW.... I need to clean out my garage to make room!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Polish, glaze, sealant, wax. Polish only if there are imperfections like swirls or other micro marring. Glazes are for looks and minor hiding of imperfections. Sealants are synthetic waxes designed for longevity as opposed to looks. Wax is generally refers to carnuaba waxes and are geared more towards beauty rather than longevity. You can do all of them, or any combination of them but that's the order. Also note that glazes offer little to no protections and should be topped with a sealant or wax.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Kitzy, Perfect! thanks for the info. I knew there had to be an 'order' to all this! It'll be a couple months before we see the sun, but when we do, I'll post some photos! Winters in Cincinnati SUCK.. NO sun from late Nov until late Feb.. (and it's cold)
Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea sealants are good for long durability..So that depends on what your going to do..My car is a garage queen and never sees the elements. I never use sealants and I only ever just wax my car since I am going for the best shine and looks over durability. if you want to try a really really good car sealant..PM me your address..I will send you a 2oz try of Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant 3.0 Only thing with that stuff is you put it on and wait an hour then remove it..BUT once removed the car has to either be kept in the garage or do it really early in the morning on a day it will not rain and sunny..because it needs about 12hrs to cure and if it gets wet before the sealant has its full time to cure it will basically wash it off the paint.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

hmmmm, it's not my daily driver, and I avoid the elements (even rain!) I appreciate the offer, but maybe I should stick w/ wax.. I actually enjoy waxing a car!! It's relaxing!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
WOW!!! that looks incredible!! That is exactly my goal!!! I did use the clay bar already to get the 'gritty' feeling off and I have applied several thin coats of was (Meguiars Gold Class liquid, not the best, but it does an ok job) I already ordered some Poor Boy Polish (BLUE) do you think that will work in place of the glazer? (since I already have it) With the paste wax, I guess there is no way to apply it with the polisher? I usually apply w/ the polisher and remove by hand. Again, AWESOME looking paint!! I can't wait to get mine lookin that good!
You can use your polisher to apply any liquids such as polishes, glazes, and liquid waxes/sealants. Actually, you can also apply paste waxes with it too but in my opinion it's more of a pain in the *** than anything. What pads did you go with? Pads come in different levels of aggressiveness/cut. I'm really only familiar with the Lake Country line myself. For glazes and waxes, a red pad is your best bet however a blue or black pad will suffice. For polishes, it really depends on what polish you're using and what condition the paint is in. I won't get in to that unless you want have questions about it.

Back to the paste wax. There are different ways to apply it with a polisher. Some people will use a butter knife to spread it on the pad. I've heard of some people removing the wax completely from the jar in one chunk and rubbing it on the pad. I prefer to just do it by hand with a foam applicator. When I had my Expedition it only took me maybe 15 minutes to apply it to the entire vehicle. It's a bit more work physically, but you can also get the tighter spots better by hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detailing question for the experts!