Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

:( got pulled over by the (wo)man AGAIN

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Shane quite honestly, I think your car would look much better without them on. For some reason, it just doesn't look good to me on grabber blue.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Shane quite honestly, I think your car would look much better without them on. For some reason, it just doesn't look good to me on grabber blue.
i'm not a fan of the tails, the huge reverse lights bother me. I'll get used to it though like the plate on the front bumper. those covers have been on the car since the first week i had it. I still want to see the 10 with the honeycomb. that might be cool, at least it wont just be a ton of red on a car with no other red on it.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

unfortunately you are violating more than state laws. This is a federal motor vehicle safety standard. It comes down to, you cant change the way the light emits from the lamp. Like stated before they have to be visible from a certain distance within a certain color range. I was popped for this in MI a few years back with my f-150. Its not worth the hassle to me anymore. nice car though man!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
unfortunately you are violating more than state laws. This is a federal motor vehicle safety standard. It comes down to, you cant change the way the light emits from the lamp. Like stated before they have to be visible from a certain distance within a certain color range. I was popped for this in MI a few years back with my f-150. Its not worth the hassle to me anymore. nice car though man!
yeah that's the part that makes me mad, they have to be visible 100feet from the vehicle in daylight in Texas, i have no doubt that these are. the LED tails on the 10 cars are so bright they will blind the person behind you at a stoplight. the front headlights also have to have at least 300 candle power according to the lady. then she goes but we have no way to measure that so they just assume you are illegal. then she says in texas you don't have to even have headlights. i was like WTF then, if i don't have to have heads why are you even talking to me about the tints. that is the part that makes me mad, these laws are so arbitrary and it all depends on the person behind the badge.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
yeah that's the part that makes me mad, they have to be visible 100feet from the vehicle in daylight in Texas, i have no doubt that these are. the LED tails on the 10 cars are so bright they will blind the person behind you at a stoplight. the front headlights also have to have at least 300 candle power according to the lady. then she goes but we have no way to measure that so they just assume you are illegal. then she says in texas you don't have to even have headlights. i was like WTF then, if i don't have to have heads why are you even talking to me about the tints. that is the part that makes me mad, these laws are so arbitrary and it all depends on the person behind the badge.
The lady cop, is she also DPS? Smith County Sheriff or Constable? Tyler PD?

I assume that you were on a highway (I-20, Hwy69, Hwy271, Hwy31, Hwy 64, Hwy 155, Hwy110, the loop, the various farm or ranch road highways). The reason why I assume this is because DPS rarely leaves the highwas to patrol. Their main focus would of course be I-20, 69, 271, 31, 64, 155. All the other smaller hwys tend to be neglected due to much lower traffic volume. Even more rarely will DPS patrol on non-hwys. There are too many hwys in smith county alone to patrol fully.

The sheriffs will patrol mostly county roads, but at times the lesser hwys too if they are in a mood for ticket-writing.

Of course, Tyler PD will only stay inside of Tyler, and all roads in the city limits are fair game (hwys, county roads, city roads).

If I were you, and you want to avoid flak from Joe Law over your light covers, find roads that are not frequented by cops.

Just in case any of you non-Texans is wondering what the heck a DPS is, DPS is the Texas state police. It is an acronym for Dept. of Public Safety.
Depending on your own state, your state might call your state police something else.
For example, Cali does not call their state police DPS, they call it CHP (California Hwy Patrol).
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The lady cop, is she also DPS? Smith County Sheriff or Constable? Tyler PD?

I assume that you were on a highway (I-20, Hwy69, Hwy271, Hwy31, Hwy 64, Hwy 155, Hwy110, the loop, the various farm or ranch road highways). The reason why I assume this is because DPS rarely leaves the highwas to patrol. Their main focus would of course be I-20, 69, 271, 31, 64, 155. All the other smaller hwys tend to be neglected due to much lower traffic volume. Even more rarely will DPS patrol on non-hwys. There are too many hwys in smith county alone to patrol fully.

The sheriffs will patrol mostly county roads, but at times the lesser hwys too if they are in a mood for ticket-writing.

Of course, Tyler PD will only stay inside of Tyler, and all roads in the city limits are fair game (hwys, county roads, city roads).

If I were you, and you want to avoid flak from Joe Law over your light covers, find roads that are not frequented by cops.

Just in case any of you non-Texans is wondering what the heck a DPS is, DPS is the Texas state police. It is an acronym for Dept. of Public Safety.
Depending on your own state, your state might call your state police something else.
For example, Cali does not call their state police DPS, they call it CHP (California Hwy Patrol).
cr346 actually, both times i was poulled over that was where it happened. its the road to the elemetary school where my kids go so i cant avoid it really. they patrol that whole area up until whitehouse. i didn't know you were local, we have a local stang club and we do quite a bit of stuff. pm me if you are interested in doing soem of our activities. we do lots of shows during show season and monthly get togethers to eat and hang out.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Honeycomb and bezels ftw:

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Dude, those tail covers make your car look so mean Shane, try to keep them on! They usually dont ever look good, but on your 5.0 they finish the aggressive look of your car.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:52 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
Dude, those tail covers make your car look so mean Shane, try to keep them on! They usually dont ever look good, but on your 5.0 they finish the aggressive look of your car.
thanks, and its a blown.0
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Honestly, I am not a fan of these covers, here in Fort Worth, plenty of people use them and they are crazy dark in some instances. I will echo the sentiment that it just isn't worth the hassle. I am not interested in giving the cops a reason to pull me over, even if I am technically legal. I had a cop in Argyle pop me for my license plate not being reflected to 50ft at night in my '06 GT. Apparently the license plate light wasn't bright enough. :/ I had no covers, completely factory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: :( got pulled over by the (wo)man AGAIN